Facebook has right to pull breastfeeding pictures

A group on the site disagrees, but posting the pictures would violate the website’s terms of use.

A Facebook group called âÄúHey Facebook, Breastfeeding is not obscene!âÄù has been garnering a lot of attention after the online networking site began pulling pictures of mothers nursing off of profiles. The site also threatened banishment should the users repost such pictures. Members of the group are opposed to FacebookâÄôs actions, stating that breastfeeding is natural and that most pictures show even less skin than prom dresses or beach wear. They also argue that it is natural and healthy and about as far from obscene as possible. Facebook, in an official statement, did not deny that breastfeeding is a natural act and said they are only taking action against pictures containing fully exposed breasts, which violates the siteâÄôs terms of use policy. We find FacebookâÄôs reaction to the pictures appropriate. Pictures exposing an entire breast are in conflict with the siteâÄôs terms of use, and ultimately, Facebook has the final say about what is posted on their website. As much as we would like to claim ownership of our profiles, the site still technically owns them. Facebook did not remove pictures of women breastfeeding from the groupâÄôs profile, since they did not expose an entire breast. Think about what would become of our favorite social site if Facebook started making exceptions in their policies. We donâÄôt need a domino effect of cases defending themselves against the nudity rule. This is not an issue of whether breastfeeding is obscene. It is a question of following the rules. And the mothers who posted pictures of fully exposed breasts broke those rules. Breastfeeding is beautiful and natural. Posting pictures of nudity is against FacebookâÄôs terms. ItâÄôs as simple as that. This editorial, accessed via UWire, was originally published in The Daily Gamecock at the University of South Carolina. Please send comments to [email protected].