Gophers take care of business against DePaul and Marquette for a pair of dual wins

From a first look at the weekend for University of Minnesota menâÄôs tennis, everything appears flawless. The Gophers cruised to 7-0 victories over Marquette on Friday and No. 66 DePaul on Saturday to start their dual meet season. But the matches werenâÄôt as easy as the scores suggest. After a long winter break, the men had to get back into competition mode quickly to prepare for Marquette and DePaul, teams that had already started their seasons prior to this weekend. The polished teams provided a challenge to a young and fresh Minnesota team; one that feels they still have a lot to prove. âÄúWe have talent, but right now itâÄôs time to make our talent really show and prove that we are a good team out there on the court,âÄù sole senior Adam Altepeter said. The competition took many first sets from the Gophers. On Saturday versus the Blue Demons, three Gophers came back from first-set losses to win their matches. They claimed all six singles matches and two of the three doubles matches both days. âÄúThey persevered and rose to the challenge, really,âÄù coach Geoff Young said. The energy emitted from YoungâÄôs players built after each match. Positive energy and vibes is nothing new for the Gophers; itâÄôs something Young expects from everyone. âÄúItâÄôs a staple of the way we compete. College tennis is 70 percent attitude and effort. If you bring that, then youâÄôre really maximizing your chances to get the most out of yourself.âÄù Junior Dino Bilankov knows exactly what Young means. âÄúThatâÄôs how we do. ThatâÄôs what you have to do to be a Gopher,âÄù Bilankov said. And Young knows everybody expresses that energy in their own way. For instance, Bilankov is visibly and audibly one of the most pumped up players on the court at any given time. This a striking difference from his doubles partner, sophomore Sebastian Gallego. Yet the two combine their unique abilities, personalities and talents on the court at all times. After a disappointing tiebreak loss on Friday, the two found redemption in another intense pro-set tiebreak, winning 7-5. âÄúItâÄôs just an incredible feeling. In a tiebreaker, in a deciding match, it canâÄôt get better than that,âÄù Bilankov said. âÄúTonight it was just an amazing feeling to win for the team. Everyone is looking at you, all these people who are here; they came and put their eyes on court number four.âÄù