Friday Men’s and Women’s Tennis

Both men and women capture solid wins at Baseline Friday night.

Friday night’s men’s tennis match vs. Wisconsin-Green Bay was an expected win, but coach Geoff Young never doubts opponents and prepares his team accordingly. The preparation paid off, because Young’s players took care of the Phoenix in a 7-0 sweep. Young wanted to see stronger doubles this weekend, and it looks like he’s getting the results. The Gophers (4-1) started strong in that category, winning all matches by a score of 8-4. After doubts about whether he’d play this weekend, junior captain Dino Bilankov proved healthy as he and Sebastian Gallego brought one of those 8-4 wins. Near the end of Bilankov’s match, there was visible frustration in the eyes of the Green Bay opponents. It was truly overhead after overhead from the strong doubles pair. Wins like this were convincing indeed, but the men know they have much more ahead tomorrow vs. No. 46 SMU on Sunday at 2 pm. The results proved to be similar, if not better in singles. 4 Minnesota players only gave up 4 games or less in their victories. As a team, the Gophers won all 6 matches, leading to a quick sweep of Green Bay. Only a little bit of trouble came in freshman Phillip Arndt’s tiebreaker win, the last match of the night. Green Bay’s freshman Paul Swanson, a high-school rival of Michael Sicora, brought everything he could to Arndt, capturing the first set 7-6. Arndt stayed steady to win the next set 6-3 and the tiebreaker by a score of 10-8. Minnesota women’s tennis also had a match with a very close finish, but these were different circumstances. Freshman Niltooli Wilkins lifted her team to a 4-3 win over No. 44 Marshall with a 3 set win (4-6, 6-3, 6-2). But it was really a team effort that contributed to the Gophers’ first win over a ranked opponent this season. Sophomore Alessandra Ferrazzi and junior Tijana Koprivica both had solid wins over Marshall singles players. The win brings No. 66 Minnesota to 5-2 on the season. They will face another ranked opponent in No. 36 Washington tomorrow at 11 am.