PETA kills the pets they purport to save

The so-called animal-rights group can be called nothing but hypocritical.

Michael Vick could learn a thing or two from PETA. Last year alone, PETA euthanized 2,124 stray pets in its care, according to Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services reports. Even worse, they only managed to find homes for seven. According to the Center for Consumer Freedom, they allegedly killed 95 percent of the pets in their care. Ninety-five percent? Vick only killed 50 percent of the animals in his care. The fact that such a fanatical animal rights group as PETA kills that many animals is appalling. How can a group so dedicated to animal rights, so hell-bent on ridding the world of every fur jacket, run a slaughterhouse? PETA claims that the reason they have euthanized so many of the pets is simple: They donâÄôt run an adoption agency. If they arenâÄôt an adoption agency, then why are they even taking animals into their possession in the first place? If it isnâÄôt their job, they should leave the animal rescue for an organization that is actually concerned with saving animals, because after killing 21,339 since 1998, itâÄôs pretty apparent that they arenâÄôt. PETA is downright hypocritical. Harping on meat-eaters and fur-wearers on one day and killing five or six adoptable animals the next doesnâÄôt make any sense. ItâÄôs like an anti-gun activist going to the firing range at the end of the day. PETAâÄôs actions are downright bewildering. We do know one thing, however: WeâÄôd let Vick be our dogsitter before we would let PETA. This editorial, accessed via UWire, was originally published in The Daily Gamecock at the University of South Carolina. Please send comments to [email protected].