Contaminated tap water closes clinics

Clinics were closed after discolored water was encountered.
April 08, 2009

Tap water contamination in Moos Tower and the Phillips Wangensteen Building on the University of Minnesota campus forced dental clinics in the buildings to close Wednesday afternoon.
University officials are investigating what caused the contamination in the two buildings and are checking to see if surrounding buildings are affected, University spokesman Daniel Wolter said. He noted that water contaminations are common in the spring and the University is erring on the side of caution.
Various media outlets from around Minneapolis have reported foul smelling water coming out of faucets in the last week.
All appointments in clinics using water are canceled until noon Thursday, but the contamination shouldn’t affect classes in the buildings, Wolter said. He added this will impact about 400 appointments.
Catherine Harding, a staffer in Moos Tower, said she first noticed discolored yellow water in toilets around 11 a.m.
The building manager came by afterwards and instructed staff not to use the water for anything, she said.
Some people reported an odor related to the water, but Harding said she didn’t smell anything.