Contaminated tap water closes clinics

Clinics in Moos Tower and Phillip Wangensteen Building are closed after discolored water was encountered.
Moos Tower
Image by Jules Ameel
Moos Tower

Tap water contamination in Moos Tower and the Phillips Wangensteen Building on the University of Minnesota campus forced dental clinics in the buildings to close Wednesday afternoon. University officials are investigating what caused the contamination in the two buildings and are checking to see if surrounding buildings are affected, University spokesman Daniel Wolter said. He noted that water contaminations are common in the spring and the University is erring on the side of caution. Various media outlets from around Minneapolis have reported foul smelling water coming out of faucets in the last week. All appointments in clinics using water are canceled until noon Thursday, but the contamination shouldnâÄôt affect classes in the buildings, Wolter said. He added this will impact about 400 appointments. Catherine Harding, a staffer in Moos Tower, said she first noticed discolored yellow water in toilets around 11 a.m. The building manager came by afterwards and instructed staff not to use the water for anything, she said. Some people reported an odor related to the water, but Harding said she didnâÄôt smell anything.