Dinkytown riot: Timeline of events

A timeline of how things escalated and what happened when.
April 26, 2009

April 25

Around 9 a.m. Parties begin coinciding with annual Spring Jam celebration.

Early afternoon Parties begin moving outside.

5 p.m. Residents report that parties get more raucous.

Between 7 p.m. and 8 p.m. Police first respond to Dinkytown neighborhoods and meet partygoers who throw rocks and bottles.

8 p.m. A street bonfire begins on the 1300 block of Seventh Street.

10:15 p.m. Fire trucks arrive to put out street fire. Many partygoers scatter.

10:40 p.m. People continue throwing garbage cans, wood and brush onto the street fire.

10:48 p.m. People begin throwing bottles with alcohol onto the fire.

10:56 p.m. More than a dozen police cars, with some riot police, and at least one police van arrive at the scene.

11:08 p.m. Officers spray pepper spray into crowd.

11:10 p.m. Police use concussion grenades.

11:30 p.m. Reports of arrests on the scene.

11:37 p.m. Police continue to fire projectiles and use concussion grenades and tear gas.

Discuss the issue further at Daily Forums: What should happen next year?

April 26

12 a.m. Activity seemingly quiets down. Many officers leave the scene, though police continue to patrol the area.

12:35 p.m. The fire appears to restart in the street. Police also make another push to clear the streets using strengthened force.

12:40 a.m. Police begin moving in on the fire, dispensing chemical irritants along the way.

12:44 p.m. Another fire truck is at the scene to put out the fire.

12:45 p.m. Police continue their use of concussion grenades.

12:50 a.m. Arrests made. A fire truck puts out the fire in the middle of Seventh Street.

1 a.m. Minneapolis police Sgt. Jesse Garcia holds a press conference. As of this time, four official arrests have been made. “This is a lot of drunk college students that are taking advantage of a good situation,” Garcia said about Spring Jam. “I think they might have gotten the message tonight.”

1:05 a.m. A police officer was seen smashing the hood of a car with a riot baton. Staff photographers said police were raiding a home near the intersection. Some houses had tear gas shot inside them.

Around 1:30 a.m. Police congregate in a nearby church parking lot and detain another person for taunting the officers. Shortly after, it starts raining and police begin leaving the scene.

—Daily Staff reports