Minneapolis set to spend stimulus money

The city will spend more than $7 million on a variety of projects

After the federal government awarded it more than $7 million in discretionary federal stimulus dollars, the city of Minneapolis is already divvying up the cash to local projects. The city council voted Tuesday to apply a large chuck of the dollars âÄî $2 million âÄî to the Shubert Theater project in downtown Minneapolis, which supporters say is the last piece of funding they need to start construction on the project. Other big money-drawing projects include $275,000 to finance construction costs for the renovation and constructing of an art space on Chicago Avenue, and $260,000 to complete an extension of Van White Memorial Boulevard. City officials estimate the Shubert Theater project will create 48 permanent, full-time jobs and about 100 construction jobs, while the less expensive Van White Memorial Boulevard project will create about 300 construction jobs. The stimulus funds were awarded to Minneapolis under two separate categories: $3.9 million in funding for energy conservation projects, and about $3.6 million towards community development, from which projects like the Shubert are drawing funding. Other projects include $200,000 for making homes safer from lead hazards, another $200,000 for winterizing condemned properties and $190,000 to reroof Fire Station 20. Check mndaily.com for updates.