Weekend Culture Compass – 10K, comedy and local noise rock.

A&E plans your weekend. You’re welcome.
Obits play at the Turf Club this Sunday. PHOTO BY JIM HERRINGTON.
Image by Ashley Goetz

Friday Music âÄì 10,000 Lakes Festival By the time youâÄôre reading this, day 2 of the festival (yesterday), will have already passed. What does that mean? It means youâÄôve already missed Wilco, Atmosphere, Mason Jennings and Akron/Family. That does suck, especially considering those acts are some of the finest to grace the hippie/stoner festivalâÄôs stages in a number of years. But, thereâÄôs still Trampled by Turtles and Cloud Cult today, if youâÄôre willing to make the trek up to D.L. And get yourself geared up for DMB Saturday, bro-diddle. Soo Pass Ranch, 25526 Cty. Hwy. 2 Detroit Lakes, MN 12 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. $75 to $185 Music âÄì Bouncer Fighter The bohemian-chic quaintness of the Kitty Cat Klub doesnâÄôt lend itself particularly well to hot rock and/or roll combos such as Bouncer Fighter, but the intimacy harkens to a basement show âÄì a source of great nostalgia for punkers. Anyway, to call Bouncer Fighter simply a punk band would be selling them short. The Minneapolis 5-piece âÄì theyâÄôve got a freakinâÄô viola player, howâÄôs that for an angle? âÄì have been lauded plenty by the local press, and deservedly so. Their brand of layered, diverse punk-derived rock is executed well and vocalist Caleb PeaseâÄôs voice is reminiscent of vaudeville punks Murder by DeathâÄôs frontman Adam TurlaâÄôs. Kitty Cat Klub, 315 14th Ave. S.E. 9 p.m. Free Festivals âÄì Lumberjack Days What would a festival be without chainsaw skill/dog leaping competitions, cribbage tournaments, parades, a treasure hunt and a floating stage with the buoyancy to hold both a Creedence Clearwater Revival cover band AND The Wallflowers? Well, it sure as hell wouldnâÄôt be Lumberjack Days, which, as you guessed, has all of those. Taking place Thu. through Sun. along the gorgeous St. Croix River, this campy festival is uniquely Minnesotan. Water St. from Mulberry St. S to Nelson St. along the St. Croix River, Stillwater Thu. through Sun., 7:30 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. Free (music acts not included) Dancing âÄì Jean Jam 2: A Denim Dance HereâÄôs the deal: this First Ave. event features several DJs, live visuals (whatever that means) and encourages all participants to wear as much denim as possible. Ironic concept party? Genuine appreciation of dance music and blue jeans? Who knows? Who even knew there was a Jean Jam 1? Still, if oddball themes and rockinâÄô jeans are your thing, thereâÄôre worse things one could get drunk at on a Friday night. First Ave. VIP Lounge, 701 First. Ave. N. 10 p.m. $3 ($1 with college ID) Saturday âÄì Music âÄì The Blind Shake, Private Dancer, Gay Witch Abortion Fans of kickass local rock music, rejoice. What could/perhaps should be billed as a Learning Curve Records showcase (all the bands call the stellar MPLS label home), will certainly be a very, very loud night nonetheless. Quick style rundown: The Blind Shake are noise-punks who are celebrating a CD release this week, Private Dancer specializes in Black Lips-ish surf-punk and Gay Witch Abortion is a guitar/drum metal hybrid that kill live. Plus, this show is free. How could self respecting rocker not attend? GrumpyâÄôs Bar & Grill, 1111 Washington Ave. S. 4 p.m. Free Film âÄì âÄúPink Floyd: The WallâÄù Odds are most Pink Floyd devotees will be in Detroit Lakes at 10K, but those remaining can make the stonerâÄôs pilgrimage to South Minneapolis and catch âÄì probably not for the first time âÄì Alan ParkerâÄôs 1982 film based on Pink FloydâÄôs 1979 landmark LP âÄúThe Wall.âÄù The filmâÄôs then groundbreaking artiness comes off a little dated, but it remains an essential piece of counterculture cinema. Riverview Theater, 3800 42nd Ave. S. 11:30 p.m. $5 Theater âÄì Panda Sandwich/WTF in the Garden of Eden: Pre-Fringe Appetizers The jam-packed absurdity of that header leaves room for some explaining. Panda Sandwich is a new, local sketch comedy group that promises âÄúirreverent scenes chock full of unicorns, carnies, and unexpected bat attacks.âÄù K, might rule, might suck. Then, âÄúWTF in the Garden of EdenâÄù âÄì a short play by Adam Sharp and Bethany Simmons âÄì performs. ItâÄôs about androgyny and fallacies about a âÄúperfect world.âÄù Sounds a bit like fallback material for a first-time, fresh out of college screenwriter, but who knows? Might be good. Either way, the Bedlam is a hip place and the price is reasonable. Bedlam Theater, 1501 S. 6th St. 7:30 p.m. $15 ($12 with student ID) Sunday âÄì Music âÄì Obits The mere mentioned of Sub Pop records may not carry the same weight it once did, but the labelâÄôs still a prime contributor to indie music and when one of their bands swings through town âÄì in this case, Obits âÄì it still commands attentions. As far as Obits goes, theyâÄôre comprised of members of respected indie bands of yore (Hot Snakes, Drive Like Jehu), dabble in guitar-heavy garage punk and are older dudes. The group is only one record in, this yearâÄôs warmly received âÄúI Blame You,âÄù but the high potential, low cost âÄì not to mention the fact local stars The Dynamiters are set to open âÄì make this gig close to a no-brainer. Turf Club, 1601 University Ave. W. 9 p.m. $8 Bikers âÄì The JointâÄôs Pre-Sturgis Hog Feed While the famous Sturgis motorcycle rally is not until August 3, why not get âÄúgearedâÄù (bad um ch!) up at The Joint this Sunday? The Cedar Ave. biker bar plans to have a bike show, rodeo, tattoo contest, music and what theyâÄôre dubbing âÄúthe best hog roast ever.âÄù Not entirely sure how many University students have accrued enough tattoos and/or gals to âÄúride bitchâÄù to truly make this a desirable event, but itâÄôs got the makings of a party. 917 Cedar Ave. S. Minneapolis, MN. 12 p.m. Free Comedy âÄì The Smothers Brothers If youâÄôre not familiar with the Smothers Brothers, theyâÄôre legends. A folk/comedy duo long before the likes of Flight of the Conchords, Tenacious D and the likes, the group consists of brothers Dick and Tommy. Their CBS comedy show was cancelled in 1969 due in part to their political beliefs and counterculture sympathies (the group performed with many of rocks greatest legends). Now around their seventies, the brothers are still touring, still funny and still timeless. Costly show, but you can tell your kids who you saw. Orchestra Hall, 1111 Nicollet Mall, Minneapolis, MN. 2 p.m. $22 to $47 Bars âÄì Chuck and SeanâÄôs Trivia Chuck Terhark/Sean McPherson=local writer and musician, respectively. 331 Club=hip N.E. hangout. Trivia=answering a series a questions in order to win prizes. In all, this event=a good way to spend the waning hours of the weekend. And considering our backwards liquor laws in this state, it might just be your only way to get drunk. Attend! 331 Club, 331 N.E. 13th Ave. 8 p.m. Free Culture to consume Listen to this: A&E recently covered the Pitchfork Music Festival and the band Cymbals Eat Guitars were clear standouts. The Staten Island group is insanely young (the singer/guitarist Joseph D’Agostino canâÄôt even legally drink a beer yet), but their debut record âÄúWhy There Are MountainsâÄù hints at a sound similar to early Modest Mouse. Eat this: As the dog days of summer approach, the humidity is sure to skyrocket in true Minnesota fashion. Considering most young folks are poor (and some are vegan), traditional ice creams may prove too costly. Thankfully, ice pops are affordable, delicious and, if eaten at the right rate, can produce a delicious pocket of juice at the end of the treat. Drink this: ItâÄôs summer and thereâÄôs only one true drink of summer (no, not MikeâÄôs Hard Lemonade you frat row hopping floozy), itâÄôs gin and tonics of course! Get a lime, a bottle of gin, the tonic of your choice and get nice and hammered on the flavor of summertime. Read this: In the wake of the newest movie installment, your best bet is re-reading the Harry Potter series you read in grade school. If theyâÄôre not still collecting dust in your momâÄôs basement, they can be picked up cheap on Amazon. Prepare to get addicted all over again, expect this time youâÄôve had sex, so the smooching of the later books will be less impactful. Watch this: ItâÄôs noon. YouâÄôre terribly bored. WhatâÄôs on Ch. 23? Why itâÄôs Steve Wilkos. The man who was once Jenny SpringerâÄôs director of security has his own show. The only thing more delightful than the cavalcade of trashiness that parades through his studio is Steve himself. The man is a former cop, screams at his guests, hucks chairs and is known for his burley trademark, âÄúGet off my stageee!âÄù Delightful. Click this: Might be old news to the web savvy, but the continuous procession of simultaneously desirable and disgusting food stuffs on This is Why YouâÄôre Fat make it an enjoyable surf. Chocolate bacon peanut butter cup, anyone?