Fatal shooting in Prospect Park

A young man was killed in the area Thursday night.
September 04, 2009

Minneapolis police are increasing patrols near the University of Minnesota following a fatal shooting of a juvenile Thursday night near the intersection of Delaware Street Southeast and 27th Avenue Southeast, police said.
Police arrived at the scene shortly after 10:30 p.m. following a report of shots fired and found a teenage male who had been shot, according to a police report.
The juvenile, was taken to Hennepin County Medical Center but was pronounced dead on arrival, according to the report. The victim’s name has not been released as of press time, but police estimated he was between 16 years old and 20 years old, according to the report.
Minneapolis police Sgt. Jesse Garcia declined to discuss specifics of the case, but did say the shooting “was not random.”
Garcia didn’t comment on any possible suspects.
University students living nearby expressed mixed feelings about the incident.
“It could happen anywhere, so I’m not really worried about it,” said forestry sophomore Brian Jubert, who lives in The District on Delaware apartment building, which is located on the 2500 block of Delaware Street Southeast.
Chemical engineering and chemistry sophomore Bryce Koprucki who lives nearby on Fulton Street Southeast said he “will keep [the shooting] in mind and probably stay away from that general area.”
Police will continue to patrol the area more heavily for “the next couple of nights,” said Nick Juarez, a crime prevention specialist with Minneapolis police.

-Katherine Lymn contributed to this report.