Truax eyes more titles, bigger venues

The boxer’s promoter hopes for a Target Center match in January.

When Caleb Truax entered the ring, nearly everybody at the St. Paul Armory stood up. Behind chants of âÄúCalebâÄù and âÄúTruaxâÄù almost every round, the Osseo, Minn., native won the fight and now looks to move to bigger fights. After winning the World Boxing Federation international middleweight championship by unanimous decision over Kerry Hope on Friday, Truax said the belt was a stepping stone and hopefully the first of many titles. TruaxâÄôs promoter Tony Grygelko said he is hoping for a Target Center fight for the University of Minnesota alumnus on Jan. 31, 2010. Should current Minnesota middleweight champion Andy Kolle agree to the fight, it would be TruaxâÄôs second fight in the Target Center . However, the Truax-Kolle bout would be the feature as opposed to his April 2007 match which was second on an eight-match card. The hopeful January match is currently in the works, but Grygelko said KolleâÄôs representation had previously said Truax wasnâÄôt a worthwhile competitor. With a belt and a 14-0 record, Grygelko is hopeful that Kolle will agree. KolleâÄôs promoter is asking for about 40 percent more than Truax would stand to make âÄîsomething Grygelko said is completely unreasonable. If both sides come to terms, it would be the first ever WBF world-title match between two Minnesota fighters. While Grygelko acknowledged KolleâÄôs abilities, he was quick to look toward TruaxâÄôs future. âÄúWeâÄôre not looking past Andy Kolle at all, but âĦ heâÄôs just a speed bump. HeâÄôs probably our last obstacle in Minnesota,âÄù he said. Grygelko said Truax has had offers for fights in California and New York, but after the way the crowd reacted to Truax in St. Paul, itâÄôs clear that he has an advantage in Minnesota. âÄúWe kind of have a little franchise here with Caleb. ThereâÄôs no reason for us to go anywhere,âÄù Grygelko said. Truax, who said the âÄúTeam TruaxâÄù crowd is behind him in Minnesota, said he does want to move on to bigger venues, including possibly the University of MinnesotaâÄôs Sports Pavilion or Mariucci Arena. With the amount of focus he puts in the sport, Grygelko said there is no need to rush him into fights outside his comfort zone. âÄúIf we had a kid that was out partying his tail off, and we knew that he was wasting years and burning daylight, weâÄôd be pushing him harder,âÄù he said. âÄúHeâÄôs so focused. The kidâÄôs the hardest working guy in Minnesota.âÄù With the future in mind and a belt to call his own, Truax knows exactly what he wants to keep doing. âÄúJust keep this going as long as I can. I want to be a big name here in Minnesota and around the country,âÄù Truax said. Sitting ringside Saturday was boxing legend Scott LeDoux , who has seen all of TruaxâÄôs fights. LeDouxâÄôs boxing career in the 1970s and 1980s included matches against George Foreman , Ken Norton and an exhibition match with Muhammad Ali . After watching the 10-round victory, LeDoux said Truax can go far in the boxing world. âÄúHe can go all the way. HeâÄôs got a lot of heart,âÄù LeDoux said.