Letter discusses resident complaints

The petition, signed by 91 local tenants, complains about student residents.
The Southeast Como Improvement Association sent a letter signed by 100 residents to University President Bob Bruininks’ office complaining about the negative impact of students on the neighborhood.
Image by Joe Michaud-Scorza

Public drunkenness, fires, violence and last yearâÄôs Dinkytown riots. Those are some of the complaints made against student residents in a petition letter sent to University of Minnesota President Bob Bruininks last Tuesday. The letter, spearheaded by the Southeast Como Improvement AssociationâÄôs (SECIA) Safety and Livability Committee, was signed by 91 residents mostly from Southeast Como, as well as Marcy Holmes and Prospect Park. The letter says the negative impact of students is âÄúmaking it increasingly difficult to build and maintain the community of stable residents âĦ We see that the wider community, and even the student community, no longer chooses to live in Southeast Minneapolis.âÄù James De Sota, SECIA neighborhood coordinator, said there has been no official University response yet, but he hopes the letter will be received favorably by the presidentâÄôs office. HeâÄôs also expecting a public statement from Bruininks denouncing the irresponsible behavior of students. âÄúItâÄôs really a small minority of individuals who are causing our headaches,âÄù De Sota said. âÄúBut most of the residents who signed it are taking action because they didnâÄôt want the actions of a few to affect the perception of the University.âÄù The letterâÄôs 91 signatories are University faculty, staff, alumni, graduate students or people otherwise affiliated with the University. De Sota said the residentsâÄô concerns began in 2009 after the Dinkytown riots. This concern was elevated when a fire started in a Southeast Como house last October. âÄúThere was a general sense of disarray and that a lot of issues were exacerbated in 2009,âÄù he said. Those issues have existed before, but last yearâÄôs âÄújust had a different feel to it,âÄù he said. He also said students feel they can get away with their actions because of a perception that there are no consequences from the University and the police. âÄúSome weekends, hundreds of people have been hanging around the streets at 2 a.m., and no action was being taken by the police,âÄù he said. De Sota said he hopes the letter wonâÄôt fuel the perception among students that the neighborhoods are anti-student. âÄúThere are people who are predisposed to [having that perception] who say, âÄòThese are student neighborhoods; why canâÄôt we do what we want?âÄô This will probably stoke that fire,âÄù he said. âÄúBut I think most of the University gets that a lot of people who arenâÄôt students live here, too.âÄù Jan Morlock, director of community relations, said the concerns raised by the neighborhoods are shared by the University. âÄúThe quality of life in the communities around our campus is absolutely essential to have a quality educational experience on our campus,âÄù she said. Morlock said the University has provided more than $100,000 in policing resources for southeast Minneapolis neighborhoods this year. âÄúThis was a University contribution to help make a stronger police presence in the neighborhoods,âÄù she said. âÄúBut even if we had a police officer on every corner, our success is going to have more to do with decisions made by individuals on what is responsible behavior.âÄù She said the University has been working with property owners to enforce the student conduct code off campus. Gerardo Bonilla is a political science senior who lived on Como Avenue and 21st Street Southeast last fall. He said he thinks students need to be more responsible with their actions, especially along 15th Avenue, where there seems to be a lot of âÄúchaos.âÄù âÄúI want to respect people so that they can respect me,âÄù he said. âÄúIf people are responsible enough to pay their bills, they should be responsible enough to respect their neighbors âĦ I donâÄôt want neighbors to call the police on me.âÄù Kendra Turonie, coordinator for Student Community Relations and director of the Student Neighborhood Liaison Program, said she supports the letter. âÄúIâÄôm not surprised and IâÄôm not offended. I encourage the neighborhoods to make their concerns and needs heard,âÄù she said. Turonie said she anticipates the letter will encourage Bruininks to be directly involved with the neighborhood and the liaison program. She also said the neighborhoods need more resources from the University to address the issues outlined in the letter.