University student shot outside of Centennial Hall

The incident was part of a string of crimes on campus Monday night.
Police officers stand in front of Centennial Hall Tuesday morning where the shooting occurred.

A University of Minnesota student was shot outside of Centennial Hall late Monday night. The victim was treated for non-life threatening injuries at Hennepin County Medical Center. The shooting was one of three incidents in the area overnight, University Police Chief Greg Hestness said in a crime alert sent out Tuesday. Around 11 p.m., two suspects approached two female students outside Moos Tower and tried to rob them. Shortly after, the suspects approached and suddenly shot the 19-year-old first-year student outside Centennial Hall. The student underwent surgery at HCMC and is expected to survive. A third incident, a robbery of a female student on the 500 block of Huron Avenue, could be connected to the shooting, according to the crime alert. Nick Furey, first year Spanish, international business and entrepreneurial management major, was entering the Centennial Hall lobby at the time of the shooting. Furey said he and the victim were at the Rec Center at the same time, but the victim left a few minutes before he did. Furey jogged to Centennial hall and passed the victim along the way he said. As he entered the dorm, Furey said he heard three shots, but dismissed them as fireworks. While waiting for the elevator in the Centennial hall lobby, Furey was approached by the victim. âÄúThe kid walks up to me probably 20 seconds after I heard the gunshots and he looks at me with this blank face,âÄù Furey said. âÄúHe pulls up his shirt and he goes âÄòI think I got shotâÄô and heâÄôs just spewing blood from his stomach.âÄù Furey said he and others called 911 and assisted the victim until emergency responders arrived about five minutes later. Multiple residents identified the victim as a University student who lived in Centennial Hall. Max Johnson, a University sophomore, said he and two friends were walking home from Dinnaken Properties at the time of the shooting. After he heard the shots, Johnson said he saw two men running through the middle of the Super Block. One appeared to be holding a duffel bag. No arrests have been made at this time, but the crime alert identified the suspects as both being black males between 18 and 20 years old. Both suspects are described as being about 5 feet 8 inches tall, with light builds. One has acne scars on his face. The Daily is withholding the studentâÄôs name out of respect for his family members. Hestness and University administration have scheduled a 2 p.m. press conference today. Check mndaily.com for more details. -Devin Henry, Frank Bi, John Hageman and Alex Robinson contributed to this report.