White accepts plea deal; two of three charges dropped

White originally faced three counts of trespassing.

Former University of Minnesota menâÄôs basketball player Royce White pleaded guilty Tuesday to one count of trespassing in Hennepin County District Court. White originally faced three counts of trespassing, but two were dismissed as a result of the plea agreement. White will have to complete 50 hours of community service within six months and must pay a $100 fine. If he does not commit a similar offense within one year, his record will be cleared. âÄúI think itâÄôs a fair disposition,âÄù WhiteâÄôs attorney, F. Clayton Tyler, said. The charges stem from a University police investigation into a laptop theft Nov. 7 in Territorial Hall. White admitted to being in the dormitory that evening but denied taking the laptop. According to a criminal complaint, White entered multiple dorm rooms unannounced, introduced himself to female occupants and exited after being asked to leave. âÄúI feel kind of upset that I had to plead guilty to a charge like that âĦ but itâÄôs best to get it all over with,âÄù White said. The highly touted freshman has not played in a single game for the Gophers. White was suspended indefinitely after an Oct. 13 incident at the Mall of America. White later pleaded guilty to theft and disorderly conduct in connection with the case. Athletics Director Joel Maturi publicly stated that White would not be allowed to return until his legal matters were cleared up. In a Dec. 17 YouTube video, White said he planned to leave the team. However, White did not officially withdraw from the University until Feb. 3. White cited safety on campus as his reason for withdrawing. On Friday, head coach Tubby Smith said he would be open to the possibility of WhiteâÄôs return to the team. âÄúI like Royce,âÄù Smith said. âÄúHe did everything we asked him to. He just has to get other areas of his life together, and you never close the door on anyone âĦ We wish him the best in trying to get his life together, and if it is a situation in which he could return, IâÄôd be willing to talk to him about it.âÄù White said he has not spoken with Smith since withdrawing from the University but expects to do so in the near future. After TuesdayâÄôs hearing, White reiterated that at this point he has no intention of re-enrolling, but said that if Smith asked him to rejoin the team tomorrow âÄúthat would make it different.âÄù âÄúI doubt that would happen,âÄù White said. But if it did? âÄúI would definitely consider it,âÄù White said.