University student assaulted Thursday night

Police plan to use security camera video footage in the investigation.
March 21, 2010

A University of Minnesota student was abducted and sexually assaulted by three men early Thursday morning.
The assault occurred around 2 a.m. off campus in the Marcy-Holmes neighborhood at Fourth Street Southeast and 10th Avenue Southeast. The victim was assaulted in a dark green minivan and then released in the same area, near the University Inn.
Heather Mero, an employee at the University Inn, said the front desk was empty at the time of the incident. On Friday,
police requested surveillance camera footage and spoke with employees. Police plan to retrieve the footage Monday, Mero said.
The surveillance cameras only have a clear view of the building’s parking lot and back alley, and Mero said she doubted the footage would be useful in identifying the suspects’ vehicle.
The suspects were described as three East African males between the ages of 25 and 30 years old. Police said the first suspect had crooked teeth and was wearing a red sweatshirt and blue jeans. The second suspect was reported to be unshaven, wearing a blue hooded sweatshirt, a brown belt and black boots. The third suspect was wearing a blue t-shirt, dark blue jeans and gray and white tennis shoes.
Police are asking possible witnesses to contact them at 612-673-TIPS.

-Andrea Schug contributed to this report.