Men, women struggle against tough Buckeyes

Both teams did earn a shutout, though, when they dominated Penn State 7-0.

For the second straight weekend, the Gophers menâÄôs and womenâÄôs tennis teams had up and down results against Big Ten competition. At home after two matches in Michigan last weekend, the No. 44 Minnesota menâÄôs team hosted Penn State Friday night, and thanks to a spark in the doubles matches, easily beat the Nittany Lions 6-1. The Gophers took two of three doubles matches to earn the one-point advantage heading into singles play. Staked to the lead, Minnesota cruised in singles play, winning five of six matches including two in straight sets to take the 6-1 victory on Friday. With the win, the Gophers improved to 9-1 on the season when they earn the doubles point. Looking for a weekend sweep, Minnesota played host to the No. 2 ranked team in the country, and against Ohio State the Gophers proved they still have a ways to go to reach the elite level. The Buckeyes dominated in all facets, winning 7-0. Ohio State opened play easily earning the doubles point after winning all three matches by scores of 8-4, 8-3 and 8-5. In singles, the Buckeyes used their elite talent âÄî three of their players are ranked nationally âÄî to win all six singles matches, including three in straight sets. With the weekend split, Minnesota moves to 2-2 in the Big Ten, 9-7 overall. With six games remaining until the Big Ten tournament, the Gophers will now travel to Illinois and Indiana next weekend, as they play the Illini Saturday and the Hoosiers Sunday. On the road after a split last weekend at the Baseline Tennis Center, the No. 56 Minnesota womenâÄôs team first traveled to Ohio State Friday night, where against the no. 25 Buckeyes they experienced the same fate as the menâÄôs team, losing 7-0. The Gophers pushed Ohio State in doubles, where Minnesota won one match and kept the third to a 9-7 Buckeyes victory. But it wasnâÄôt enough, as Ohio State took the doubles point and never looked back. In singles play, the Buckeyes triumphed in all six matches, three in straight sets to earn the shutout victory. Looking to bounce back and avoid getting swept for the second time all season, it was Minnesota earning the shutout Sunday, besting Penn State 7-0. The tandem of Alessandra Ferrazzi and Alexa Palen started the Gophers strong play, winning their doubles match 8-4. Minnesota would go on to win one more doubles match to take the point. In singles competition Ferrazzi and Palen both earned victories and their teammates followed suit, winning all six matches for the teamâÄôs second shutout victory of the season. The women moved to 3-2 in the Big Ten, and 10-8 overall. The Gophers will host Indiana and Illinois next weekend at Baseline.