Man pleads guilty to on-campus robbery

Derrell Jacori Cole was sentenced to a juvenile program, probation and a stayed prison sentence.
April 06, 2010

Derrell Jacori Cole, arrested for a campus robbery that took place in January, was sentenced to a juvenile program, probation and a stayed prison sentence Monday after pleading guilty to two felony robbery charges last week.
One of the 17-year-old’s guilty pleas was related to the robbery of two University of Minnesota students outside of Moos Tower on Jan. 25. Police say they believe the robbery was one of three connected crimes that night, including a previous robbery and the eventual shooting of University student Timothy Schumacher.
Cole also pleaded guilty to another aggravated robbery charge for a crime he committed in north Minneapolis earlier that day.
Cole must participate in a juvenile program for an undetermined amount of time, and Judge Kathryn Quaintance heard evidence Tuesday to determine where he would be located. Additionally, Cole was put on probation until he turns 21, which if broken could put him in prison for six years, according to a court document.
“This is as good as we could do under the law,” Deputy Hennepin County Attorney Pat Diamond said.
University police are still investigating other suspects who are believed to be involved in the case, as well as working with the county attorney’s office on further charges.
A campus alert sent by University police Monday night stated that “evidence suggests the same individuals committed the robberies and the shooting.”
According to a court document, Cole and another male approached a female victim at about 4 p.m. Jan. 25 on 15th Avenue North near Newton Avenue North. Cole told the victim, “Give us what you got,” to which the victim asked, “Is this for real?”
The other suspect put a gun to the victim’s neck and said, “This is dead serious,” before both robbed her.
Subsequently, Cole and another man robbed two women outside Moos Tower at 11 p.m., University police said. The men ordered the women to surrender backpacks and cell phones and were believed to be armed.
“We’ve got one of them, at least,” University police Deputy Chief Chuck Miner said. “[We’re] hoping there’s some additional convictions.”