New head shop opens in Dinkytown

The store will offer an occasional 20 percent student discount on its selection of glass and pipe products.
Aaron Becquer, a Junior Marketing Psychology Major at Augsberg  
University, cleans a counter at Sherlox Parlour last Monday. Sherlox  
Parlour is a new head shop in Dinkytown that features hand blown glass pipes from local artists.
Image by Aleutian Calabay
Aaron Becquer, a Junior Marketing Psychology Major at Augsberg University, cleans a counter at Sherlox Parlour last Monday. Sherlox Parlour is a new head shop in Dinkytown that features hand blown glass pipes from local artists.

Those who choose to celebrate the April 20 counterculture holiday will have another head shop to flock to this year, with Sherlox Parlour newly opened and offering a store-wide sale to celebrate. The head shop opened late last month and has since seen âÄúpretty good reception,âÄù said Nick Thouin, a store manager. The store will offer an occasional 20 percent student discount on its selection of glass and pipe products. âÄúWe realize college students are âĦ working off of a budget,âÄù Thouin said. The storeâÄôs design and layout put a high-class spin on the stereotypical head shop style. Located in what once was a warehouse, construction for the store broke ground beneath Pagoda restaurant in February. Dinkytown Business Association President Skott Johnson worked in the same space as a student in the 1970s when it was an office supply store. âÄúThey did a really nice job fixing up the place,âÄù he said. âÄúI know what the basement used to look like âÄî itâÄôs quite an improvement.âÄù Just like its location, the marketing of Sherlox has been mostly underground. âÄúWord-of-mouth has really been doing the job for us,âÄù Thouin said. Numerous lamps hang from the ceiling, overlooking dazzling displays that contrast with the warehouse location. The variety is what will set the store apart from competitors like Hideaway, said Thouin, adding that along with big brand names, the store will stock local, more under-the-radar glassblowersâÄô products. All work is hand-checked, and store managers know some of the glassblowers personally, which adds to the personal touch appeal, Thouin said. âÄúWeâÄôre up for working for any artist that would walk in the door and want us to carry their stuff,âÄù he said. While Hideaway owner Wally Sakallah argued that his store offers a wider variety, including knickknacks and jewelry, both men agree there is a large demand for the products head shops offer. Thouin said recent interest in the industry played into the reasons for opening Sherlox Parlour. âÄúA lot of our friends and people we know have had a newfound interest in glass, and thereâÄôs a lot of demand out there,âÄù he said.