Thank you, Relay For Life runners

The student group Colleges Against Cancer hosted the seventh annual Relay For Life at the University of Minnesota on April 16 at the field house, gathering over 2,400 students, faculty, staff and community members for over 12 hours, fighting cancer and raising more than $202,000 for the American Cancer Society. This is no small feat. This event is actually the ninth-largest college Relay For Life in the nation and the second-largest Big Ten school event. As Colleges Against CancerâÄôs adviser from the American Cancer Society as well as a University alumna, I am so proud of this communityâÄôs commitment to the fight against cancer. This group of students works year-round to plan educational and awareness activities meant to encourage college students to think about what they can do to fight cancer right now. The funds raised through Relay For Life are visible all around campus: from the 12 University researchers currently being funded by $6.4 million in American Cancer Society grants to ACSâÄôs Hope Lodge at 25th and University avenues southeast, a home away from home for cancer patients seeking treatment far from their homes. With your support, we are celebrating more birthdays each and every day. Brea Atkinson University alumna