Six-game win streak ends with 0-0 tie

Gophers redshirt freshman forward Steph Brandt plays against San Diego last Sunday at the Elizabeth Lyle Robbie Stadium.
Image by Mark Vancleave

Despite its second shutout in as many games and an overwhelming advantage in every major offensive category, the Minnesota womenâÄôs soccer teamâÄôs win streak was halted at six this weekend by a 0-0 overtime tie Sunday afternoon at Toledo . After a 2-0 win Friday over Bowling Green , the Gophers were unable to finish any of their 18 shots Sunday and became the second straight Big Ten team to tie the Rockets âÄî Michigan battled Toledo to a 2-2 tie Friday . Though head coach Mikki Denney Wright called Minnesota âÄúdominant,âÄù she said she wasnâÄôt satisfied with what she saw from her team in the final third of the field. âÄúItâÄôs more than just about finishing chances,âÄù she said. âÄúItâÄôs also about the correct kind of service, the right runs in the box, the right service on corners.âÄù Still, the Gophers are unbeaten since a season-opening overtime loss to then-No. 4 Notre Dame , and until it was halted, the six-game streak was longer than any they mounted a year ago. Friday, a week after her first career goal, redshirt freshman Steph Brandt netted the game-winner in the 68th minute against Bowling Green. The score remained at 1-0 until the 87th minute, when junior Tamara Strahota , who moved from forward to center back last weekend in relief of injured senior Jennie Clark , volleyed home a corner kick from senior midfielder Katie Bethke to seal the GophersâÄô victory. It was BethkeâÄôs Big Ten-leading sixth assist of the season . The Gophers pressured Bowling GreenâÄôs goal almost constantly. They outshot the Falcons 24-3 and peppered goalkeeper Alexa Arsenault with 10 shots on target, while Minnesota goalkeeper Cat Parkhill needed to make only two saves for her second shutout of the season. Parkhill was worked just as infrequently Sunday against Toledo, making just two saves in 110 minutes of play for her third clean sheet in four games. And like Friday, the Gophers had an overwhelming advantage in shots, 18-5, and shots on target, 9-2. This time, however, Minnesota couldnâÄôt beat Rockets goalkeeper Vicki Traven . Toledo has proven it can run with the Big Ten. It opened the season with a 1-0 double-overtime win over Purdue and tied Michigan 2-2 on Friday. âÄúTheyâÄôre very difficult to break down,âÄù Denney Wright said. âÄúTheir style is difficult to play against. Hats off to them, I thought they had a great game plan.âÄù But with a road contest looming Thursday against No. 21 South Carolina, it wasnâÄôt quite the tune-up Denney Wright was hoping for. âÄúI donâÄôt think we executed the way we would like to. I think the players are focused on working on the things we need to improve on to get ready for âĦ a very difficult South Carolina team on Thursday.âÄù