Election Guide 2010

The Minnesota Daily presents its biennial election guide.
Gubernatorial candidates Mark Dayton, Tom Emmer and Tom Horner debate on October 16 at the McNamara Alumni Center.
October 26, 2010

In one week, Minnesotans will head to the polls to determine their next governor and representatives in the Legislature and Congress.

For undecided voters, and students wondering who’s running in their district — or even what district they live in — The Minnesota Daily’s biennial election guide breaks down last-minute voter registration and candidates’ stances on economic and social issues.

The Daily seeks to provide complete and fair coverage of the Nov. 2 election. Candidates for various races were interviewed with a standard set of questions on issues ranging from higher education and the state and federal budget deficits to the repealed Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell policy and immigration.

The snapshots offer an overview of 18 people running in the 2010 general elections.

In the marquee gubernatorial race, Republican Tom Emmer and Independence Party candidate Tom Horner were interviewed, though Democrat Mark Dayton was unavailable.

In an election season marked by an exceptional number of gubernatorial debates, about 25 since the August primary, this guide also runs down less-publicized races in District 59 and U.S. Congressional Districts 3, 4 and 5. These encompass most of the neighborhoods surrounding the University of Minnesota’s Minneapolis and St. Paul campuses.

U.S. Rep. Erik Paulsen, R-Minn, the incumbent running in the 3rd District, declined interview requests and Joel Demos, the Republican candidate in the District 5, did not respond to repeated requests.

Further information on where and how to vote is available on the Minnesota Secretary of State’s website at www.sos.state.mn.us.

To view the Election Guide stories, go here.