Budish injured in moped accident

Don Lucia will address the severity of the injury Wednesday.
  • Joe Michaud-Scorza Daily File Photo
November 02, 2010

Gophers right winger Zach Budish was injured Monday morning in a moped accident.

Budish, a 6-foot-3-inch, 221 pound sophomore, was traveling north on 15th Avenue SE near Dinkytown when he lost his balance and skidded to the ground. No other vehicles were involved.

A team spokesman said the severity of Budish’s injuries is still being determined. Tuesday morning, however, FSN analyst Kevin Gorg said on KFAN radio that Budish tore the ACL in one of his knees. Head coach Don Lucia will update Budish’s status Wednesday during his usual media availability.

If it is a knee injury, it is not Budish’s first. He missed his etnire senior hockey season at Edina High School because of a knee injury he suffered in the first round of the 2008 football playoffs.

That knee didn’t seem to bother him last season as a freshman for the Gophers. He played in all 39 games, spent most of the second half of the season on Minnesota’s first line and finished the season with the team’s seventh highest point total.

This season, Budish has six points (two goals, four assists) in seven games, primarily on the second line. He had a goal and assist in last weekend’s sweep of Colorado College.

- Devin Henry contributed to this report.