Weber, Hoese highlight Minn. contingent at Pro Day

Minnesota Vikings VP of Player Personnel Rick Spielman said he was impressed by quarterback Adam Weber’s workout.
  • Daily File Photo
March 09, 2011

Eleven former Minnesota football players showcased their skills in front of NFL scouts at Gopher Pro Day on Tuesday.

The athletes took part in a series of tests and measurements, which are structured similarly to the NFL Scouting Combine which recently took place in Indianapolis.

Participants had their height, weight and wing span measured, and then underwent vertical leap, broad jump, 40-yard dash, shuttle run and three-cone drills. Position-based workouts were conducted afterwards.

One of the participants was four-year starting quarterback Adam Weber, and Minnesota Vikings Vice President of Player Personnel Rick Spielman had a lot to say about his performance.

“He had a very good workout today so we’ll go ahead and put him in the mix and compare him to what we already know about some of the other kids we saw at the combine,” Spielman said. “He’s been on the big stage so he has the experience and it’s not going to be too big for him when he gets his opportunity to come up and show what he can do in the NFL.”

In preparation for Pro Day, Weber trained in Miami for two months, and worked with the likes of former second-round NFL draft pick and current Detroit Lions quarterback Drew Stanton.

All the hard work led to what was a good day in Weber’s eyes.

“Overall I was happy. Obviously you always want to run a little faster, do things a little quicker, and not miss a couple throws, but it’s all part of the game and I don’t dwell on that,” Weber said. “I’m happy with the performance. I’ve worked my butt off for five years, but really focusing on two months for this day and overall I’m happy. I think I got done what needed to get done.”

Weber wasn’t the only Minnesota athlete who felt good about his performance.

“I think everyone did pretty well,” former defensive back Kyle Theret said. “My times are solid. I felt crisp in my shuttle drills. My vertical was a little better than I’ve been jumping. It was a good day overall.”

Fullback Jon Hoese had been training four days a week for Pro Day and felt like he had a strong showing as well.

“I was very happy. This is a day to showcase everything that you have, and I’ve been looking forward to it and working hard towards it,” Hoese said.

The work doesn’t stop here. Hoese said he’ll take a week or so off before he resumes speed, endurance and weight training. Theret said he’ll continue to get in shape as well, and Weber said he’s not satisfied either.

“I know I have a long way to go, but I just want an opportunity,” he said.

“If I’m lucky enough to get into a camp, I don’t know how many reps I’ll get. You have to learn to take mental reps and to be prepared. You have to be very focused and confident in your abilities and that’s what I’m working on and learning how to do.”

Workout results have yet to be disclosed.

- Josh Katzenstein contributed to this story