Ward 2 to shrink as city council boundaries shift

The ward is 14 percent more populous than the average and will shrink by about 10 percent.
April 11, 2011

Though the city of Minneapolis’ population has barely changed over the past 10 years, Ward 2 is going to be downsized.
The recent release of census results began a long redistricting process for the city of Minneapolis, one that will change borders for City Council districts.
That means some students living around the University of Minnesota will switch wards and see new representation.
According to census data presented to the Charter Commission last week, Ward 2, which encompasses much of the University community, has about 14 percent more residents than the average ward. The commission’s rules state that each ward must be within 5 percent of the average.
This will mean City Council member Cam Gordon could serve new or smaller portions of his current neighborhoods.
Although he doesn’t have a say in the redistricting process, Gordon has an interest in how it plays out.
“I definitely have learned a lot about the neighborhoods I’m serving,” Gordon said. “I think I understand them and have built some good relationships. So any change will be a big adjustment.”
Some possibilities include moving neighborhoods in Seward and Cedar-Riverside from Ward 2 to wards 9 and 12. Some communities may also move into Ward 3, which currently contains the Marcy Holmes neighborhood.
The greatest downsizing will be in Ward 7, which includes the majority of downtown and is 15 percent above the average. Ward 5 in north Minneapolis is 9 percent below the average, making it the smallest ward in the city.
Barry Clegg, chairman of the Charter Commission, said the 2013 election will be the first time the new ward lines will matter. Under state law, the city can’t redistrict until the state does so, which Clegg said likely won’t happen during this legislative session.
Once the state goes through the process, Minneapolis has 60 days to finish redistricting, Clegg said. The Legislature has until next February to draw new lines.

Associated Content