Danger Danger! High Voltage!

Minneapolis music and fashion gets amped at “Voltage.”
April 14, 2011

WHAT: Voltage: Fashion Amplified

WHEN: 8:00 p.m.Friday

WHERE: First Avenue, 701 First Ave N.

COST: $25/$30

Any Minneapolis fashion enthusiast will agree that “Voltage” is the premier local fashion event of the year. The reasons for this are simple enough: It fuses the best of local fashion and music into one electrically charged showcase. Since MNfashion Week has commenced, people are already dying to flaunt their hottest spring purchases alongside a runway. When you throw some of the most buzzed local bands into the mix, the anticipation skyrockets. Come Friday, everyone has the opportunity to get their fix of both.

As 2011 marks the seventh installment of “Voltage,” it must be acknowledged that the show serves a greater purpose than mere entertainment (though there are no complaints in that department). Because it’s such a premier event in the scope of Twin Cities fashion, it serves as a springboard for surfacing talent, like designer and “Voltage” debutante Sarah M. Holm.

After a successful showing in Cliché’s “Avoid the Grey” (let us recall the adorable retro swimsuit) Holm has started to receive more positive attention for her work. The 10 looks she’ll show at “Voltage” will only heighten this.

“Yeah it’s been stressful, but I don’t feel too much pressure,” Holm said. “I feel excited more than anything.”

Often drawing from a ’40s ’50s vintage aesthetic, for “Voltage” the designer will incorporate some additional bold influences into her work.

“I’ve been inspired by old sci-fi movies and crazy costumes.”

As far as the music aspect goes, the synthesis of these two worlds makes perfect sense to Holm.

“Music has always inspired me, and I think it inspires all sorts of people,” Holm said. “And musicians are inspired by fashion.”

Pink Mink leading lady Arzu Gokcen couldn’t agree more. If there’s anything that the Picked 2 Click winners are known for (besides their fiery live performances) it’s the artistic schtick they’ve fashioned for themselves.

“You know, for me, I’ve always loved fashion,” Gokcen said. “I’ve always been a big fan of bands like Kiss, you know? It really adds something theatrical. It just makes it more of an event for us.”

For “Voltage” all of the bands will be thrown into the sartorial spotlight, as another aspect to the production is that local designers are responsible for outfitting the music acts. And even if you don’t “get” fashion, the sets by Pink Mink, Me and My Arrow, Phantom Tails, Communist Daughter and Fort Wilson Riot are a total dealmaker.

It isn’t often that the cream of the Minneapolis music crop jams under the same roof. In a city brimming with creativity, it’s about honoring both the artists and the art itself.

“It’s an incredibly fun night to celebrate both things that I care about,” Gokcen said.

Some will likely attend to salivate over the spring lines of Ivan Idland or Danielle Everine. Others to simply ride on a PBR buzz and dance to Phantom Tails. Regardless of motivations, “Voltage” has all of the ingredients to leave one amped about local art, regardless of form.