Trial for man charged in hit-and-run to begin in November

Timothy Bakdash pled not guilty to all charges in connection to the April 15 hit-and-run that killed a University student and injured two others.
June 20, 2011

The trial of the man accused with killing a University of Minnesota student and injuring two others in an April hit-and-run will begin in November.

Timothy Bakdash of Roseville has been charged with one count of first-degree murder and two counts of first-degree attempted murder for the hit-and-run on April 15 that killed University student Ben Van Handel. The trial will begin November 14, said Bakdash’s attorney Joseph Tamburino.

A first-degree murder conviction carries a mandatory life sentence. Bakdash pled not guilty to all three charges at a pre-trial hearing Monday morning, Tamburino said.

Bakdash, 29, allegedly drove his vehicle into several University students on Fifth Street Southeast in Dinkytown on April 15.

Van Handel, 23, entered a coma and died five days later. University students Katelynn Hanson and Sarah Bagley were injured in the accident as well.

Bakdash is in custody at Hennepin County Jail under $1 million bail.

Bakdash’s mother, 66-year-old Diane Bakdash, faces criminal accessory charges in the incident. Diane Bakdash is accused of signing over the title of the car allegedly used in the hit-and-run so that her son could sell it after the accident.

Diane Bakdash was released on $100,000 bail, and filed a motion to dismiss the charges against her earlier this month.