Gophers split series with Bemidji

Coach Brad Frost wasn’t happy with the team’s effort Saturday.
  • Moira Ducharme, Daily File Photo
October 31, 2011

The No. 2 Gophers women’s hockey team split its series with Bemidji State this weekend. Minnesota won 4-1 on Friday, but fell 2-1 on Saturday.

On Friday, Beavers forward Sadie Lundquist scored to give Bemidji State a 1-0 lead, which  would last for a little more than eight minutes.

Gophers forward Jen Schoullis knotted the game up at 1-1, scored her second goal of the game three minutes later, and Minnesota held a 2-1 lead after the first period.

“[Schoullis’] whole line played really well on Friday. They were moving the puck and communicating,” Minnesota head coach Brad Frost said. “It was good to see Jen get rewarded with a hat trick.”

Neither team scored in the second frame, and this marked just the fourth time this season that Minnesota was held scoreless in a period.

The Gophers used a third-period goal by Sarah Erickson to extend the lead and Schoullis added an empty net goal in the game’s final minute to record the first hat trick of her career.

Minnesota recorded 50 shots on goal Friday — the fifth time this season that the Gophers have taken 50 or more shots.

Bemidji State ended Minnesota’s four-game winning streak Saturday, however.

Both teams were held scoreless in the first period, and the Gophers blew an early power-play chance in the second period.

Rachael Kelly of the Beavers scored the game’s first goal five minutes and 36 seconds into the second period. A Megan Bozek roughing penalty afforded Bemidji State another power play, and the Beavers capitalized when Lundquist scored her second goal of weekend.

Emily West halved the deficit in the third, but the Gophers were unable to tie the game and the Beavers held on for the victory.

“I wasn’t happy with how our team played for the first two periods. It ended up costing us the hockey game,” Frost said.

He later added that he was disappointed with the team’s intensity level and will look to make some adjustments in the upcoming week.

“On Friday night we did a lot of good things. We were up on our toes and we were moving, and it almost seemed like the opposite happened Saturday … Overall we didn’t bring a great effort.”

Minnesota will play No. 7 Minnesota-Duluth next Friday and Saturday at Ridder Arena.

Muzerall named women’s hockey assistant coach

Former Gophers women’s hockey player Nadine Muzerall will join the Minnesota coaching staff as an assistant coach. Muzerall played for the Gophers from 1997 to 2001 and was a two-time All-American in that time.

“As an alum, I feel a tremendous pride in being given the opportunity to coach college hockey at the University of Minnesota,” Muzerall said in a release.

“There couldn’t be a better place for me to coach a game I love, for a team I have honored since the beginning, with coaches for whom I have the utmost respect and in a place I have felt as home since I was 18.”

Muzerall helped lead Minnesota to the AWCHA National Championship in 2000. She is the Gophers’ all-time leader in career goals scored with 139 and is third on the all-time points list with 235.

Muzerall’s previous coaching experience came at a boarding school for high school students, Northfield Mount Hermon School in Massachusetts. She coached the girls’ varsity team from 2002 to 2009.

“She will be a great addition to our staff and program,” head coach Brad Frost said in a release. “Nadine brings a wealth of experience both as a player and coach. Our players will love learning from her as she brings a tremendous passion for Gopher hockey and the University of Minnesota.”

Associated Content