Bob Motzko coached for two Gophers’ National Championship teams

November 17, 2011

St. Cloud State head coach Bob Motzko is currently in his seventh season with the Huskies.

Although he and Minnesota head coach Don Lucia will be on opposite benches this weekend, Lucia said they have developed a close-knit relationship.

“I was asked before, ‘Do you enjoy beating a friend?’ and the answer is, ‘No, you really don’t,’” Lucia said. “I know how hard he works and we talk on a weekly basis.”

Motzko was an assistant coach under Lucia from 2001-05 and was part of the Gophers’ staff when the team captured the NCAA Division I National Championship in 2002 and 2003.

“He was a big part of our run here when we won our titles and he did an outstanding job,” Lucia said.

Motzko accepted the St. Cloud State head coaching job in 2005 and led the team to a 22-16-4 overall record in his first season.

“I’m happy that he’s there,” Lucia said. “I’m happy that he had the opportunity to become a head coach.

“He’s done a great job and he will continue to do a great job,” Lucia said. “We just don’t want them to do a great job this weekend.”

Motzko was also an assistant under legendary head coach Herb Brooks when he coached at SCSU in 1987.