Socializing online or homework sabotage?

Limiting your time online is easier than you think, and it’s beneficial.
November 22, 2011

Last week I did the unthinkable, the college student’s worst nightmare. I blocked Facebook on my computer and deleted the application from my phone.

No, I didn’t deactivate my profile all together — I don’t have that kind of willpower. Instead, I restricted my access. If I try to use Facebook between 9 a.m. and 10 p.m., my computer conveniently reminds me that I should be working.

I made this seemingly rash decision after receiving an invitation to Google+, the newest addition to the social networking world. The thought of adding yet another obligation to the equation sent me over the edge.

Students spend an immense amount of time checking Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, email and Moodle sites. That’s not even taking into account sites like YouTube, StumbleUpon, Pinterest and online shopping, all of which seem to be designed to distract.

All of these websites can interfere with a college education, and we students realize it. Statuses like “I wonder how high my grade point average would be if I didn’t have Facebook,” make me wonder why the user doesn’t just log off and start studying, but it’s not that easy.

Before my Facebook-blocking endeavor, I would have openly labeled myself as a social networking addict. Since I made the change, though, I have not missed online socialization.

Checking my profile every five minutes while doing homework was more of an unfortunate habit than something that was necessary or even entertaining. I did it because I could, not because I was fascinated with what my “friends” were doing online.

Students should try to exercise self control to juggle the online world with school. Just think, while spending an hour on dailypuppy.com may fill your cuteness quota for life, you can never get that hour back.