Greeks seek new program director

Four candidates will interview with greek community leaders this week.
December 05, 2011

The University of Minnesota greek community will meet the candidates vying to take over as the new Office for Fraternity and Sorority Life program director this week.

After a months-long national search to replace Chad Ellsworth, who left for a different position in the College of Biological Sciences in August, four finalists hope to become the new liaison between the University and its greek community.

An OFSL search committee will interview Lindsay Faulstick, Daniel Miller, Melissa Wolter and Matthew Levine. They’ll attend lunches and forums to meet with greek students, alumni, leaders and some of the University’s faculty throughout the week.

OFSL’s program director is responsible for advising and supporting fraternity and sorority chapters and members, the Panhellenic and Interfraternity councils and the multicultural greek council. He or she acts as the liaison between the greek community and different departments within the University.

All four candidates are involved with greek communities at their schools. The search committee is looking for someone with experience working with fraternities and sororities as well as working with diverse greek chapters, said Amelious Whyte, the chief of staff in the Office of Student Affairs, and OFSL’s interim director.

“We’re looking for someone to be a leader and help move the community in a positive direction,” Whyte said.

This week provides an opportunity for students to hear what the candidates have to say and is a chance to provide feedback, Whyte said.

Meg McMurray and Joe Sandbulte, the current presidents of the PHC and the IFC, are the students on the search committee. McMurray said the committee is looking for someone with experience and new ideas for the greek community.

“We want someone who will help us continue to grow in chapters and numbers, and overall happiness with the greek experience,” McMurray said.