Culture Compass 6/17/2015 – 6/23/2015

Listen to this:

Hot 102.5

The Twin Cities finally have a bona fide old school hip-hop station to tune into: Hot 102.5 FM. Summer is the perfect time for bottom heavy rap bangers, and while running around town last weekend, I cranked up the new station and heard old favorites and new jams that I Shazamed at red lights. Nothing beats a hot afternoon rolling down Interstate 94 with the windows down, while listening to Biggie’s “Juicy.” Thanks to Hot 102.5, it’s a lot easier than it was before.   

Read this: 

“The Paris Review Interviews”

There’s nothing better than laying in a hammock on a hot summer afternoon with a cool drink and a good book. If you’ve ever wanted to get in the minds of your favorite authors, check out “The Paris Review Interviews,” four volumes of conversations with literary luminaries. The dialogue is amusing, and it’s intriguing and inspiring to hear legends like Hemingway, Saul Bellow and Haruki Murakami (just to name a few) expound on the creative process and bear their skeletons and wild stories.

Ride this:

Your bike

There’s no excuse to stay in your cars or ride the bus with the summer sun beating down; get on your bike. Whether biking to work or for errands or taking a long weekend ride, there’s no better way to explore one of WIRED’s “20 Most Bike Friendly Cities on the Planet” than on two wheels. Make a picnic lunch with charcuterie, cheese and bread, and hit the trail to some part of the city you’ve never seen before.

Friday

Rob Thomas (with Plain White T’s)

Remember the song “Smooth” from the early 2000s? There’s no way you could forget Carlos Santana’s saccharine guitar shredding or the trying-too-hard yet very catchy vocals accompanying it. Rob Thomas of Matchbox Twenty is the man behind the vocals, and he’s stopping by Northrop with Plain White T’s. Northrop’s an odd choice of venue for Mr. Thomas, but once he starts into “Unwell,” that’ll be an afterthought.

Where Northrop Auditorium, 84 Church St. SE, Minneapolis
Hours 8 p.m.
Cost $42.50-$92.50

Saturday

Michael McDonald

If yacht rock is your thing, Michael McDonald’s smoothness will bring you to your knees. McDonald is best known for his lead chops with the Doobie Brothers, but he gained street cred when his song “I Keep Forgettin’” was sampled in Warren G’ and Nate Dogg’s “Regulate.” His music is easy, breezy and cheesy, perfect for a warm summer evening, no yacht necessary.

Where Weesner Family Amphitheater at the Minnesota Zoo, 13000 Zoo Blvd., Apple Valley
Hours 7 p.m.
Cost $57-$69.50

Sunday

Stone Arch Bridge Festival

The beauty of the Stone Arch Bridge beckons visitors from all around the city, state and country and makes it an ideal backdrop for a festival. Celebrate Father’s Day by taking your dad (and family) to the Stone Arch Bridge Festival, and stroll around while browsing art, listening to live music and lusting after classic cars. Take a seat on the patio of one of the many restaurants lining the cobblestoned Main Street, and throw back a beer or three while watching the crowds go by. 

Where Minneapolis Riverfront (by St. Anthony Main), Minneapolis
Hours 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Cost Free