Culture Compass 7/1/2015 – 7/7/2015

Read this:

Magazines from Forage Modern Workshop

If you’re looking for the best magazine rack in town, hit up Forage Modern Workshop, the ultra-chic home goods store on East Lake Street. You won’t find any run-of-the-mill GQs or Cosmopolitans here — Forage partnered with local creative agency Bodega to curate the selection, which ranges from fashion favorites like Inventory and Highsnobiety to food magazines like Gather Journal and travel journals like Boat. While these magazines cost a pretty penny, their rich readability and intriguing subject matter trumps middlebrow offerings from Condé Nast and Hearst any day.

Listen to this:

“The Beyond / Where Giants Roam” by Thundercat

Flying Lotus’ Brainfeeder label has killed it this year, and signee Thundercat’s latest album is no exception. The six-track, 16-minute mini-masterpiece is reflective and deep, yet has the chilled, laid-back R&B vibes of the perfect summer soundtrack. Make a Negroni and listen to this eargasm in your hammock while you sway in the summer breeze.

Eat this:

Talenti Gelato

OK, I don’t really need to remind you to eat Talenti Gelato, but when it’s on sale at Whole Foods, you buy enough to feed a small nation. Because Talenti is a way of life, you feel me?

Go to these: 

Friday

“Weird Al” Yankovic

Remember the first time you heard “White and Nerdy?” That song helped me — and I’m sure many of you — through middle school and the beginning of high school, as did much of “Weird Al” Yankovic’s bouncing musical parodies. His brand of offbeat humor is proof you should let your freak flag fly. His latest album, “Mandatory Fun,” hit No. 1 on the U.S. Billboard charts when it was released last year, the first time in Yankovic’s illustrious 30-plus year career.

Where Mystic Lake Casino Hotel, 2400 Mystic Lake Blvd. NW, Prior Lake
Hours 8 p.m.
Cost $34-$42

Saturday

Fourth of July Fireworks

The Fourth of July was meant for fireworks. What better place to watch a dazzling display of lights than the Stone Arch Bridge? The views of Minneapolis are unparalleled, as is the natural scenery when it’s illuminated in shades of pink, gold and green. For those wanting to save a place early, live music and food vendors will help pass the time.

Where Stone Arch Bridge, 1758 West River Road N., Minneapolis
Hours 10 p.m.
Cost Free

Sunday

Tree Blood

If the members of Tree Blood had their way, life would be a never-ending party. The local trio received attention from Impose Magazine and Stereogum for their brash, wound-up anthems, which conjure memories of misbegotten nights at house shows full of debauchery and bands that don’t care in the best way possible. Throw back some cheap beer and thrash your head to their angst-filled punk all night long.

Where Turf Club, 1601 University Ave. W., St. Paul
Hours 7:30 p.m.
Cost $6
21+