Culture Compass 7/29/2015 – 8/5/2015

If you find yourself in St. Paul, check out Quixotic Coffee. The pint-sized Highland Park shop is killing it with their coffee cocktail game and is the answer to Five Watt Coffee east of the Mississippi. The highlight of their menu is the White Lightning ($5). Made with local Blackeye Nitro Cold Brew, the drink is infused with vanilla simple syrup and cinnamon, making for a slightly boozy and much needed morning pick-me-up.

Eat this:

Oysters

Sometimes I forget how much I love oysters until I sample them at Whole Foods because they’re on sale for a dollar a pop. There’s something sensuous about the mere act of slurping down one of these raw sea creatures, juices and all. If I could eat 20 a day, I would, but they’re prohibitively expensive and I don’t have a trust fund. That said, why not indulge on a few varieties for a summer picnic with your sweetheart?

Listen to this:

Erykah Badu’s “FEEL BETTER, WORLD!” mixtape

In a broken society, R&B songstress Erykah Badu is an outspoken social critic attempting to provide a ray of optimistic introspection where it’s easy to concentrate on bleakness. Badu curated a series of her favorite songs for the mix tape “FEEL BETTER, WORLD!” The tunes range from jazz ditties to full-fledged funk and soul, tied together by themes and ideas of change and hope. Though it’s easy to get down with the message behind the music, the sweltering songs also embody the spirit of the hot, humid summer, making them perfect for a barbecue or a casual porch listen.

Thursday

Minnesota Fringe Festival

Theater aficionados rejoice; Minnesota Fringe is back, kicking off its 2015 season on Thursday. The festival runs for more than a week, giving you enough time to check out several of the irreverent, politically conscious, groundbreaking shows it’s known for. With 19 different venues operating and 169 shows running, there’s bound to be something for everyone.

Where Various locations, Minneapolis
Hours 3-11 p.m.
Cost $14 plus a one-time $4 button

Friday

Zoo Animal

Zoo Animal is a fixture on the local scene thanks to their irreverent minimalist indie grunge-pop riffs. They’re bringing their brash bangers to Cedar Cultural Center on Friday, along with Har-di-Har and Circadia. The concert will be bolstered by a piece from local installation artist Rachel Andrzejewski,_ which, combined with the lineup, will guarantee that the night will be conceptually centered and paradigm breaking. 

Where Cedar Cultural Center, 416 Cedar Ave. S., Minneapolis
Hours 7 p.m.
Cost $12-$15

Saturday

Kräftskiva!

Brothers Eric and Andrew Dayton (sons of Minnesota governor Mark Dayton) have a veritable local empire under their hands with boutique Askov Finlayson, restaurant Bachelor Farmer and Marvel Bar. The food-obsessed brothers are holding their fourth annual Kräftskiva! festival on Saturday, featuring crayfish and drinks from their establishments and live music from bands including Ra Ra Riot and Poliça, making for a rollicking, finger-licking good time. 

Where Second Avenue North between Azine Way and North First Street, Minneapolis
Hours 5-10 p.m.
Cost $20-$25