Culture Compass 8/5/2015 – 8/12/2015

Eat this:

Giordano’s Deep Dish Pizza

The Chicago-based restaurant Giordano’s graced the people of Minneapolis with a location in Uptown this past month. Now that some of the buzz has died down, check out their website and see if you can nab a table. Any weekend without quality pizza is a shame, and Giordano’s is sure to have your back in a quest to avoid such a calamity.

Jam to this:

“Gentle Warnings”

The New York duo Jack + Eliza released their debut album “Gentle Warnings” this summer. Filled with charming harmonies and captivating lyrics, the album offers the perfect soundtrack for a sunny day at the beach. Still, the album’s feel is timeless and won’t expire in the fall. Standouts include “Quarter Past the Hour” and “Oh No.” 

Visit this:

Webber Natural Swimming Pool

The first public natural swimming pool in the country — let alone North America — opened last month right here in Minneapolis after 10 years of planning and construction. It’s also completely free, so you can cool off without chlorine and without spending a dime. The pool is only open on weekends through Labor Day, so make a splash while you can.

Friday

Irish Fair

Whether you’re Irish or not, the Irish Fair of Minnesota is bound to keep you entertained this weekend. Aside from people watching and drinking, the fair also offers live dancing and music. The lineup features international acts like the Screaming Orphans as well as local Irish bands like Sweet Colleens. Other activities include a “Best Men’s Legs in a Kilt Contest,” so get on over there.

Where Harriet Island, 950 Lilydale Road, St. Paul
When 3-11 p.m.
Cost Free

Saturday

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

Children’s Theatre Company presents a completely interactive version of the classic tale, “20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.” Audiences follow the cast through the set comprised of hallways and stairways at the theater, embarking on a nautical journey with Captain Nemo and the crew. Anchors aweigh, and come experience this story in a completely new way. 

Where Children’s Theatre Company, 2400 S. Third Ave., Minneapolis 
When 6:15 p.m.
Cost $40-$50

Sunday

Cats, Cats, Cats … And All Those Loveable Animals

In light of the Walker Art Center’s upcoming annual Internet Cat Video Festival, the AZ Gallery opened its own exhibit dedicated to cats and other “loveable animals.” The exhibit features more than 80 works from local artists who contributed photos and artwork of their feline friends. Come support local art, and geek out over the adorable creatures before the big day.  

Where The AZ Gallery, 308 Prince St., St. Paul
When 9 a.m.-3 p.m.
Cost Free