The fashionista and fashionisto are in: Hot or not

A&E’s fashion experts go head to head on today’s top runway and street trends

Fashion is almighty.  It’s all-powerful and divisive.  Case in point: the Daily’s A&E department.  After arguing about a ton of trends every week in the office, the Daily’s two most fashionable writers decided to talk out our differences. We both commented on three men’s trends and three women’s trends. Let the rivalry ensue.

Men’s trend: Polka Dots

Grant says:

Polka dots, whether large or small, signal that you’re not another drone.  They add a touch of flash to a classic conservative outfit — a black V-neck sweater paired with slim, dark denim and a white dress shirt with small polka dots let the world know just who they’re messing with.  Supreme and Mark McNairy offer shirts with large dots perfect for a midsummer cookout.  Polka dots are also great on ties.  I own a black skinny tie with white polka dots from the Tie Bar, and it gets several compliments every time I wear it (it also costs a mere $15). 

Melanie says:

I really don’t like polka dots. Just in general. They are equally terrible for both men and women. With the exception of very small polka dots (so small that you can’t really tell that they are polka dots from more than six feet away). Large polka dots just seem childish to me. I don’t really know why a man would want to wear them. Polka dots are the opposite of masculine.

Men’s trend: Baggy Pants               

Grant says:

After five years of flattering, slim pants, I can’t believe these are hitting the runways. You can’t touch these if you have a modicum of self-respect.  I would not be caught dead wearing them, and if they dare come back in style, I will gladly exit the realm of fashion to keep on wearing my slim jeans and chinos.

Melanie says:

Baggy pants are the worst thing in existence. There is nothing I hate more than a dude wearing baggy pants, except maybe a dude wearing white sneakers because white sneakers are for kindergarteners. Guys have it so easy compared to girls. Would it kill you to buy some jeans that fit properly? They don’t look good on anyone, so just stop. It’s time to become an adult and figure out your true waist size.

Men’s trend: Turtlenecks

Grant says:

Turtlenecks project leading-man swagger and were rocked by visionaries like Miles Davis and Steve McQueen. Though they’ve dominated the runway for the past two seasons, I rarely see anyone sporting one on the street. Turtlenecks can be difficult to pull off and are still associated with Steve Jobs’ mock-neck uniform, which is unfortunate.

Colin Kaepernick recently rocked one with a three-piece suit; if he can pull it off, so can you. I have a grey Uniqlo turtleneck in my closet, which is a great layering piece (especially under a blazer) in fall, winter or spring.

Melanie says:

Turtlenecks can actually be pretty cool. Of course, there are very bad examples of men wearing turtlenecks (like that one your dad owns that probably has a duck on it), but there are also some really good examples.

When I think of turtlenecks being worn in a cool way, two examples come to mind: Tom Ford and Zayn Malik from One Direction. You know what they both have in common? They use turtlenecks as a layering piece underneath a sports coat. The textures look great together, and the men wearing them look even better.

Women’s Trend: Shearling

Grant says:

Shearling is one of the most overplayed trends.  It looks like it smells bad and has a ratty, unsexy appearance. It strikes me as a poor substitute for fur and cheapens an outfit, especially when paired with suede. Avoid at all costs.

Melanie says:

Shearling is a great trend for women this year. It evokes old glamour, keeps you warm and looks chic. A shearling jacket that hits a little bit above your knee paired with a mini dress is especially cool.

Shearling can give anyone that “model-off-duty” vibe. Because of its unique texture and lack of structure, it’s difficult to look like you’re trying too hard — which is essentially what every girl is trying to achieve when she gets dressed in the morning.

Women’s Trend: Cropped layers

Grant says:

I thought this look was too avant-garde for my tastes until I saw a girl pull it off at the Purple Onion. Most examples I’ve seen look clunky because the cropped tops are sweaters. But if you pair a sailor shirt (a heavy T-shirt with nautical stripes) and a long, chunky scarf, it’s a perfectly bohemian look.

Melanie says:

This is a look that I keep seeing in magazines and on runways. Wearing a cropped top over a longer layer is a great way for people to participate in the crop top trend without baring their stomachs. I wouldn’t say cropped layers over longer pieces are my favorite trend, but I do think it works in most cases. Layering a cropped sweater over a dress is definitely the way to go.

Women’s Trend: Over-the-knee boots

Grant says:

If done right, over-the-knee boots add je ne sais quoi to any lady’s outfit. Avoid the suede versions that resemble leggings; black leather is the way to go with these boots. When paired with a short dress or skirt, they’re an elegant, urbane statement piece. Philip Lim 3.1 offers a particularly nice pair with a slim silhouette.

Melanie says:

I’m all about over-the-knee boots. They look great with leggings and oversized layers. It kind of goes back to that whole “looking like I’m not trying” thing. Over-the-knee boots elongate your legs. I will admit that they can look weird with denim. As long as you wear them with leggings or tights in the same color family, e.g. black with black, they look chic, rather than trashy (or worse, tacky).