Street style: Gopher game day

Second-period fashion recap
University students Katie Zawislak, James Updike and Jean Smith before the Gophers hockey game against Michigan State on Thursday.
Image by Holly Peterson

It takes a little ingenuity and creativity to stay stylish at Gophers sporting events. The Fashionista scoured the University of Minnesota’s men’s hockey game last Thursday, searching for students rocking maroon and gold with a fashionable twist.

In the sea of drunken, gopher-all laden fans, a few fans stood out from the pack. Take a peek at these collegiate exemplars where pride meets chic.

Name: Katie Zawislak, 19, sophomore

Major: pre-nursing

What are you wearing? Classic Gophers hockey jersey, beanie, M.A.C. maroon lipstick in the color Sin.

What is your favorite thing about Gopher game day? The band. It does an amazing job of getting everyone pumped up.

How do you stay stylish, yet show your pride? I wear as much maroon and gold as possible.

Name: Kaitlin Spomer, 19, freshman

Major: civil engineering

What are you wearing? A Gophers sweatshirt, new University of Minnesota socks and low-top shoes to show off the socks.

What is your favorite thing about Gopher game day? I love the atmosphere and the excitement.

How do you stay stylish, yet show your pride? I like to accessorize. Adding in a sparkly headband in maroon or gold is fun and easy.

Name: Jean Smith, 20, junior

Major: architecture

What are you wearing? A Gophers jersey, Forever 21 party pants, Nordstrom combat boots and a vest from Target.

What is your favorite thing about Gophers game day? Drinking with my friends.

How do you stay stylish, yet show your pride? I like to shop at the bookstore; it has stylish and Gophers-friendly clothes.

Name: James Updike, 20, junior

Major: finance and accounting

What are you wearing? A quarter-zip from the women’s section, green v-neck, Abercrombie jeans and Kohl’s boots

What is your favorite thing about Gophers game day? I like everyone coming together. It’s all about the atmosphere. We are all here for the same reason — support the Gophers and have fun.

How do you stay stylish, yet show your pride? I shop at the bookstore, especially when things are on sale.

Editor’s note: The students’ responses have been edited for accuracy and clarity.