Culture Compass: Hey 007, great job!

A&E plans your weekend.

Thursday

OK, so a friend of pharmacists, a sultry singer and a comic genius walk into the Fitzgerald Theater. Welcome to the 38th episode of “Wits,” Minnesota Public Radio’s forum for funny. This iteration features Tim Heidecker, Ted Leo and Aimee Mann. The last name Heidecker may not ring a bell, but this is the Tim of “Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job!” fame. The show is a spastic mix of low-quality comic sketches of varying effectiveness. But when they hit the mark, they really nail it (see their numerous screwy musical numbers and John C. Reilly’s character Dr. Steve Brule). With stellar musical guests as well, this looks to be another standout installment of “Wits.”  

“Wits: Tim Heidecker with Aimee Mann and Ted Leo”
Fitzgerald Theater, 10 E. Exchange St., St. Paul
8 p.m.
$35-45

Friday

“Well, isn’t that special?” Since the days of Dana Carvey’s “SNL” character the Church Lady, the world has been treated to great comic versions of penitent women — from Satan-fighters to the variety on display in “The Last (Potluck) Supper” at the Plymouth Playhouse. It’s supposedly the last in a run of five productions, so if you haven’t had a taste of the Minnesota classic, now’s your chance. If Friday doesn’t work out for you — these shows are known for selling out — don’t worry, because the run has been extended through June 29, 2014.

The Church Ladies in “The Last (Potluck) Supper”
Plymouth Playhouse, 2705 N. Annapolis Lane, Plymouth
7:30 p.m.
$27-38

Saturday

The love-to-hate defending NBA champs are rollin’ into the Target Center. We gotta show the Miami Heat how a real crowd cheers on a squad. The T-Wolves are hovering around .500, which is disappointing  after a promising start to the season. It’s too bad they don’t play in the Eastern Conference, where that record would put them in contention for a mid-range playoff seed. They do possess one of the more potent offenses in the league, which makes them, regardless of outcome, entertaining to watch. The Heat will contest every shot, and the T-Wolves will have to do without as many open looks at the bucket. But we’ve got the weapons to make the Heat bleed if the cards fall right. Crunch.  

Minnesota Timberwolves vs. Miami Heat
Target Center, 600 N. First Ave., Minneapolis
7 p.m.
$26-1200

CULTURE TO CONSUME

Listen to: Minnesota Beatle Project Volume Five

Being one of the most popular bands in the history of music means your songs will be covered for eternity. Enter the fifth installment of “The Minnesota Beatle Project.” Vega Productions started the series in 2009, recruiting local artists to cover Beatles songs. All of the proceeds go toward music education in Minnesota, so this holiday release will elicit warm fuzzies even if it isn’t your cup of tea. With the solid local acts featured on the album — Chris Bierden of Poliça, Dosh, The Cactus Blossoms and Actual Wolf, to name a few — this is bound to please. Last-minute Hanukkah gift, anyone?

Eat this: Candy canes

Smoking cigarettes may not be cool, but oral fixations certainly are — hence the common confusion. Long before Kojak and his lollis, the mouth has been a destination spot for all types of cool stuff. Candy canes are just another great addition. Avoid the red-and-white barbershop tradition, and go for the more flavorful and colorful varieties. Those always remind me of giant suckers that little kids in olden times are always depicted with — the type that a young Mr. Burns would steal from a baby. That makes the experience so much more enjoyable.

Watch this: More James Bond movies

When Spike started doing Thanksgiving Bond marathons a while back, I was enthralled and appropriated the tradition. Now, every Thanksgiving goes something like this: turkey, football, turkey and then 007. Thanksgiving is over, but with all of the Bond movies to choose from, trust me — you’re not done. Did you rewatch any of the underrated Tim Dalton ones yet? Or Connery’s comeback special, “Never Say Never Again”? See, you’re not ready to start on Frosty yet.