Ron Paul, supporters rally at Target Center

Ron Paul shakes the hands of supporters Tuesday at the end of his hour long speech at the Target Center.
Image by Paul Bangasser

Benito Segovia, an alternate delegate to the Republican National Convention, said he came to Minnesota because he had a duty to fulfill to the Republican Party members from Texas who elected him. However, Segovia said heâÄôs not happy. Sen. John McCain, the partyâÄôs presumptive presidential nominee, doesnâÄôt quite satisfy him. âÄúFor better or worse, itâÄôs what weâÄôve got,âÄù Segovia said. Segovia spent a portion of Tuesday afternoon rallying at the Target Center in Minneapolis for a different Republican âÄî Texas congressman and former presidential candidate Ron Paul. âÄúWe want to stay in the party and promote these ideas of Ron Paul in the party,âÄù he said. Paul, whose run for the Republican PartyâÄôs nomination brought him legions of support and almost a hero-like following, addressed his fervent supports and kicked-off his Campaign for Liberty at the Target Center Tuesday night. The event, called the Rally for the Republic, was originally slated to be held at Williams Arena, but moved to the larger Target Center to accommodate more people; the event sold more than 10,000 tickets at a patriotic $17.76 a piece. âÄúOur actions have sped up the revolution that was going to come anyway,âÄù Paul told his fans. The Campaign for Liberty is meant to support politicians with views similar to PaulâÄôs small government ideals, and to inform people of them. âÄúWe want little Ron Pauls to be out there running for office,âÄù said Marianne Stebbins, Minnesota coordinator for the Campaign for Liberty. âÄúThe country seemed to be right for this,âÄù Paul said in a news conference early Tuesday. âÄúWeâÄôre in serious trouble.âÄù Paul covered an assortment of topics in his hour-long address, from foreign policy to the Federal Reserve. âÄúOnce you become knowledgeable, you have an obligation to do something about it,âÄù he said. The Target Center looked ready to host a rock concert; music equipment adorned a stage set under multicolored lights âÄî a red, white and blue podium befitting a presidential candidate was one of few signs hinting at a political rally. Zach Bibeault , a University political science and communications student and Ron Paul supporter, said Ron PaulâÄôs event was a good contrast to the convention. âÄúIâÄôm not a fan of the RNC coming here, so itâÄôs kind of cool that theyâÄôre having their own convention for what I consider to be real Republicans,âÄù he said, though he didnâÄôt attend. Paul said he has no plans to attend the RNC in St. Paul, and an RNC spokesperson did not return calls for comment on PaulâÄôs rally. Paul had a sizable following in the Republican primaries, pulling in upwards of 15 percent of the vote in many closing primaries, even after McCain had clinched the nomination. Paul won the Republican caucus on campus in February. âÄúOne thing that has delighted me to no end has been the response of the young people,âÄù Paul told supporters. Some, such as Libertarian Party presidential candidate Bob Barr, hope the Paul hangover lasts into the general presidential election. âÄúThis is where freedom reigns,âÄù Barr said of PaulâÄôs convention. âÄúThereâÄôs really no electoral home in the fall election for Ron Paul supporters.âÄù Not everyone, like Bibeault, is sold on voting for Barr, a former Republican congressman. âÄúThe person I would be most likely to vote for is Ralph Nader,âÄù Bibeault said, noting that he wonâÄôt vote for Barr. âÄúIâÄôm not a big fan of either major presidential party.âÄù Paul himself said he doesnâÄôt intend to endorse any candidate. âÄúI donâÄôt foresee giving any marching orders to my supporters,âÄù he said. The rally lasted all afternoon, and featured speakers such as former Minnesota Gov. Jesse Ventura, former U.S. congressman Barry Goldwater Jr., and Paul. Stebbins called it, âÄúa varied smorgasbord of liberty topics.âÄù Political science first-year Joel Hanson said he was surprised at how well Paul spoke. âÄúHe really knew how to work the crowd,âÄù he said. Paul, who kept the roaring crowd on its feet all night long, called everyone to action. âÄúI now firmly believe our day is coming,âÄù Paul said.