Dinkytown riot: Timeline of events

A timeline of how things escalated.

April 25

Around 9 a.m. Parties begin coinciding with annual Spring Jam celebration. Early afternoon Parties begin moving outside. 5 p.m. Residents report that parties get more raucous. Between 7 p.m. and 8 p.m. Police first respond to Dinkytown neighborhoods and meet partygoers who throw rocks and bottles. 8 p.m. A street bonfire begins on the 1300 block of Seventh Street. 10:15 p.m. Fire trucks arrive to put out street fire. Many partygoers scatter. 10:40 p.m. People continue throwing garbage cans, wood and brush onto the street fire. 10:48 p.m. People begin throwing bottles with alcohol onto the fire. 10:56 p.m. More than a dozen police cars, with some riot police, and at least one police van arrive at the scene. 11:08 p.m. Officers spray pepper spray into crowd. 11:10 p.m. Police use concussion grenades. 11:30 p.m. Reports of arrests on the scene. 11:37 p.m. Police continue to fire projectiles and use concussion grenades and tear gas.

Discuss the issue further at Daily Forums: What should happen next year?

April 26

12 a.m. Activity seemingly quiets down. Many officers leave the scene, though police continue to patrol the area. 12:35 p.m. The fire appears to restart in the street. Police also make another push to clear the streets using strengthened force. 12:40 a.m. Police begin moving in on the fire, dispensing chemical irritants along the way. 12:44 p.m. Another fire truck is at the scene to put out the fire. 12:45 p.m. Police continue their use of concussion grenades. 12:50 a.m. Arrests made. A fire truck puts out the fire in the middle of Seventh Street. 1 a.m. Minneapolis police Sgt. Jesse Garcia holds a press conference. As of this time, four official arrests have been made. âÄúThis is a lot of drunk college students that are taking advantage of a good situation,âÄù Garcia said about Spring Jam. âÄúI think they might have gotten the message tonight.âÄù 1:05 a.m. A police officer was seen smashing the hood of a car with a riot baton. Staff photographers said police were raiding a home near the intersection. Some houses had tear gas shot inside them. Around 1:30 a.m. Police congregate in a nearby church parking lot and detain another person for taunting the officers. Shortly after, it starts raining and police begin leaving the scene. âÄîDaily Staff reports