Body found in snow near campus

The man’s body was found in the Marcy Holmes neighborhood around 4 a.m. Thursday.

A manâÄôs body was found lying in the snow shortly before 4 a.m. Thursday morning near the 300 block of 8th Avenue Southeast in the Marcy Holmes neighborhood, authorities said. Second precinct officers responded to a call about an unconscious body and found the man dead, said Minneapolis Police Sgt. Jesse Garcia . The body has been identified, but the name had not been released to the public, said University police Deputy Chief Chuck Miner . Miner was, however, able to verify that the deceased was âÄúnot a [University] student, staff or faculty member.âÄù The death was ruled suspicious late Thursday morning by the Minneapolis Police Department Homicide Unit . No suspects are currently in custody, but investigators are following leads. The cause of death will not be known until an autopsy is completed by the Hennepin County Medical ExaminerâÄôs Office . A representative at the ExaminerâÄôs Office said nothing had been determined as of early Thursday afternoon. Minneapolis Police Homicide investigators are currently handling the case, which Garcia said is likely to end up being ruled a homicide. This would be the eighth murder of the year so far for the city. There were 19 homicides in all of 2009. Miner said at this point, University Police are not planning on notifying the community with any sort of crime alert, but that the department will keep in touch with Minneapolis police for updates on the investigation. Those with information on the case are encouraged to call the Minneapolis Police Department tip line at 612-692-8477.