Johnson and Westbrook work out with the Wolves

Damian Johnson and Lawrence Westbrook worked out with the Wolves on Friday, part of the process of finding work playing basketball somewhere.
Image by Jules Ameel

For many, college is a struggle: a short four (sometimes more) years to figure out a life path. But after college, it seems, is when the real struggle begins. For two former Gophers menâ脛么s basketball players â脛卯 Damian Johnson and Lawrence Westbrook â脛卯 the pressure to find work in their profession looms large. The problem is that positions arenâ脛么t readily available in their field, and with the scarcity, available positions go to the elite. Many of those elite will be announced during Thursdayâ脛么s NBA draft. But with only two rounds and 60 picks to go around among the worldâ脛么s top basketball talent, players likely to go undrafted like Johnson and Westbrook must impress teams in workouts and hope for a free-agent contract. Both players worked out for the hometown Minnesota Timberwolves on Friday, with head coach Kurt Rambis looking on. Westbrook, who led the Gophers in scoring his last two seasons, has worked out for several NBA teams, trying to impress them with his ability to find the open spaces on the floor and create his own shot. Johnsonâ脛么s biggest asset is his defense. His length and quickness give him the ability to guard multiple positions, but Johnson said he is most suited to guard â脛煤a 2 or a 3â脛霉 â脛卯 a shooting guard or small forward. Timberwolves assistant coach and Minnesota graduate J.B. Bickerstaff ran a group of five players through individual and team drills to get a better look at each playerâ脛么s skill set. Bickerstaff said the staff looks for a combination of physical tools, mental toughness and â脛煤coachabilityâ脛霉 throughout the course of the workouts. â脛煤Can you listen? Can you learn? How quickly do you pick things up?â脛霉 Bickerstaff said of the traits he looks for. â脛煤Those things are all as important if not more important than the physical part of it.â脛霉 The Wolves own three picks in the first round and two in the second, but they likely wonâ脛么t use any on either of the former Gophers. Experts say the teamâ脛么s biggest needs are length and scoring, and while Westbrook is a strong scorer with over 1,000 points in his Gophers career, the team already has a similar player in Syracuseâ脛么s Jonny Flynn . While either playerâ脛么s skills could be a commodity on an NBA team, there is immense depth of talent relative to the space available on NBA rosters. As such, the two are sitting back and gathering information about their options, should the NBA dream not come true. The NBA Development League is the NBAâ脛么s official minor league affiliate. The league currently consists of 16 teams with direct affiliations to the NBA, and is considered a backup option for the â脛煤second tierâ脛霉 of basketball talent. Another option would be to play overseas in Europe or Asia. â脛煤You canâ脛么t shut out anything. Overseas, the NBA â脛卯 I just want to play basketball,â脛霉 Westbrook said. Johnson wasnâ脛么t willing to rule out any option either. â脛煤The NBA is not a guarantee at all, so hopefully it works out. But if overseas is the [best] option, Iâ脛么ll take it,â脛霉 he said. Johnsonâ脛么s agent has received numerous phone calls from teams overseas wondering about the availability of his client, Johnson said. In addition to Fridayâ脛么s workout with the Wolves, Johnson worked out last week with the Miami Heat, and said his agent scheduled a workout for Monday with the Atlanta Hawks. He also hoped to squeeze in one more workout with the New Jersey Nets before Thursdayâ脛么s draft.