Weber, Hoese highlight Minn. contingent at Pro Day

Minnesota Vikings VP of Player Personnel Rick Spielman said he was impressed by quarterback Adam Weber’s workout.
Image by Daily File Photo

Eleven former Minnesota football players showcased their skills in front of NFL scouts at Gopher Pro Day on Tuesday.

The athletes took part in a series of tests and measurements, which are structured similarly to the NFL Scouting Combine which recently took place in Indianapolis.

Participants had their height, weight and wing span measured, and then underwent vertical leap, broad jump, 40-yard dash, shuttle run and three-cone drills. Position-based workouts were conducted afterwards.

One of the participants was four-year starting quarterback Adam Weber, and Minnesota Vikings Vice President of Player Personnel Rick Spielman had a lot to say about his performance.

âÄúHe had a very good workout today so weâÄôll go ahead and put him in the mix and compare him to what we already know about some of the other kids we saw at the combine,âÄù Spielman said. âÄúHeâÄôs been on the big stage so he has the experience and itâÄôs not going to be too big for him when he gets his opportunity to come up and show what he can do in the NFL.âÄù

In preparation for Pro Day, Weber trained in Miami for two months, and worked with the likes of former second-round NFL draft pick and current Detroit Lions quarterback Drew Stanton.

All the hard work led to what was a good day in WeberâÄôs eyes.

âÄúOverall I was happy. Obviously you always want to run a little faster, do things a little quicker, and not miss a couple throws, but itâÄôs all part of the game and I donâÄôt dwell on that,âÄù Weber said. âÄúIâÄôm happy with the performance. IâÄôve worked my butt off for five years, but really focusing on two months for this day and overall IâÄôm happy. I think I got done what needed to get done.âÄù

Weber wasnâÄôt the only Minnesota athlete who felt good about his performance.

âÄúI think everyone did pretty well,âÄù former defensive back Kyle Theret said. âÄúMy times are solid. I felt crisp in my shuttle drills. My vertical was a little better than IâÄôve been jumping. It was a good day overall.âÄù

Fullback Jon Hoese had been training four days a week for Pro Day and felt like he had a strong showing as well.

âÄúI was very happy. This is a day to showcase everything that you have, and IâÄôve been looking forward to it and working hard towards it,âÄù Hoese said.

The work doesnâÄôt stop here. Hoese said heâÄôll take a week or so off before he resumes speed, endurance and weight training. Theret said heâÄôll continue to get in shape as well, and Weber said heâÄôs not satisfied either.

âÄúI know I have a long way to go, but I just want an opportunity,âÄù he said.

âÄúIf IâÄôm lucky enough to get into a camp, I donâÄôt know how many reps IâÄôll get. You have to learn to take mental reps and to be prepared. You have to be very focused and confident in your abilities and thatâÄôs what IâÄôm working on and learning how to do.âÄù

Workout results have yet to be disclosed.

– Josh Katzenstein contributed to this story