McGinnis appointed Associate Athletic Director, CFO

Tom McGinnis will take his new post Dec. 5.

On Dec. 5 the University of Minnesota will have a new Associate Athletics Director and chief financial officer.

Tom McGinnis, a senior associate athletics director at The Ohio State University, was named associate athletics director for administration and finance and chief financial officer by director of athletics Joel Maturi earlier today.

A 14-year veteran of the OSU Athletics Department, McGinnis has worked in a variety of positions during his tenure at OSU and has rapidly worked his way up the chain of command. Most recently he played a primary role in the budget planning process for OSUâĂ„Ă´s $128 million budget.

McGinnis takes over the GophersâĂ„Ă´ CFO duties of Liz Eull, who left the post in August to join University president Eric KalerâĂ„Ă´s staff.

âĂ„ĂşWe are excited to have a person with TomâĂ„Ă´s skills, experience and background in the Big Ten join the Gophers senior management team,âĂ„Ăą Maturi said in a press release. âĂ„ĂşTom has played a key role in the financial and human resources operations at Ohio State and will bring leadership, integrity and energy to this important role.âĂ„Ăą

After graduating with a bachelor of science degree in kinesiology from Indiana University in 1997, McGinnis went on to earn a masterâĂ„Ă´s degree in sport management from OSU in 1999. 

McGinnis, who was first hired at OSU in 1997 as an event management graduate assistant, said that he was thrilled to join the Gopher Athletics family and was looking to the challenges and opportunities his new position presents.

The hiring of McGinnis comes at a time when public criticism of Maturi is becoming increasingly vocal. 

Hired in July 2002, Maturi has overseen the successful merger of the menâĂ„Ă´s and womenâĂ„Ă´s sports departments, the building of TCF Bank Stadium, and four national titles. 

Still, the recent lack of success amongst the major Gophers sports programs has led to increasing calls for Maturi to step down as athletic director.

During the hiring process of current football head coach Jerry Kill, SaveGopherFootball.com a group of boosters and former Gophers players created, paid for two pull-page ads in the Minnesota Daily that expressed discontent and a lack of confidence in the Maturi.

MaturiâĂ„Ă´s contract is set to expire in 2012.