Women’s hockey cruises to 3-0 win

Freshman Shyler Sletta made her first start in goal and earned a shutout.

The Gophers womenâÄôs hockey team picked up where it left off after splitting a series with top-ranked Wisconsin last weekend.

No. 2 Minnesota improved its record to 6-1-0 Thursday by defeating Minnesota State, 3-0.

âÄúOverall I thought defensively, offensively we did some really good things,âÄù head coach Brad Frost said. âÄúFrom the back end out I thought the girls played pretty hard tonight.âÄù

All-American goaltender Noora Raty sat out with an undisclosed injury. Freshman Shyler Sletta was outstanding and recorded a shutout in her first career start. She said after the game that she was not nervous at all.

âÄúIt’s not one of those things that I’ve ever been nervous about. Hockey has been my life since I was four,” Sletta said. âÄúYou can’t get nervous about everything in life, that’s just one of those things.âÄù

She was aided by a defense that allowed only 20 shots on goal.

Sophomore forward Sarah Davis scored her first two goals of the season and junior defenseman Megan Bozek added a goal of her own.

The Gophers were constantly in the Mavericks’ zone, and recorded 52 shots.

Davis put Minnesota on the board with just more than three minutes left in the first period. She added her second goal 1:59 into the second period, and recorded her first multi-goal game of her career.

âÄúI didn’t even know [it was my first multi-goal game] until they brought it up,âÄù Davis said. âÄúI think the more important thing is that we played great as a team, 50 shots. You can’t ask for anything better than that.âÄù

Bozek scored from just inside the blue line with less than a minute remaining in the second period.

Frost said after the game that Raty will be evaluated tomorrow and will likely be a game-time decision.

Minnesota and MNSU will conclude their series Friday night at Ridder Arena.