Media drops the ball on race issues

We shouldn’t wait around for media frenzies to think about and fight against racism.

Social networking once again is exploding over the latest media coverage of the Trayvon Martin case. Many people are expressing their anger and hurt over the death of this young boy — Twitter and Facebook are becoming a platform for many to share their feelings on what they call racism. Why, though, must we wait until a situation like this occurs and is publicized in the media to become activists and express the disappointment we have regarding this type of injustice?

Earlier this year we experienced a similar situation with the Troy Davis case, in which Davis, an African-American, was executed despite all but two of the prosecution’s witnesses recanting or contradicting their testimony. It wasn’t until the media began to talk about this case that the public began to react. During the Davis case, I was more compelled to blame the media, rather than the public, for being late to start covering the issue. However, as this situation seems to be happening again, it causes me to scrutinize the people, our country itself, instead of just the media.

In addition to the Davis case, and even Martin, there have been many other signs of the racism that still exists in our country. One well-known example is an anti-Obama bumper sticker that reads “Do Not Re-Nig in 2012.” More familiar to our own student body is the example of the controversial memes that caught fire last month.

As racism is still clearly evident in our society, I believe it is important to continue to fight, continue to be active and also continue to be aware and not just act when something controversial shows up in the media or when everyone begins to talk about it via social networks. The truth is there are many occurrences like this every single day, whether it happens to be broadcast widely by the media or happens privately in a school hallway.

Though we may not have this mindset every day, we can all start today. In honor of Martin’s death, and in response to the violence that occurred, our school will be holding the One Million Hoodies March for Trayvon Martin at 6 p.m. on Thursday in front of Northrop Plaza.

As I greatly advise everyone to come out and show support, I would also like to remind everyone that every day is a day to be active against injustice. And it is up to us to do so. 

Tiffany Trawick welcomes comments at

[email protected].