Kill released from hospital after seizure

Minnesota head football coach Jerry Kill was released from the hospital Sunday after suffering a seizure following Saturday’s game, the team confirmed.

Kill suffered a seizure in his private locker room at TCF Bank Stadium after the Gophers lost 21-13 to Northwestern on Saturday afternoon. He was immediately taken to a local hospital as a precaution.

“He was evaluated yesterday and this morning, and all tests confirm that he remains in excellent health,” team physician Dr. Pat Smith said in a release Sunday. “His only concern is his team and staff, and he is excited to resume his normal coaching duties as Minnesota prepares for Wisconsin this week.”

Kill’s history with his seizure disorder is well-documented. He collapsed on the sidelines last September in the fourth quarter of a home game against New Mexico State.

He was hospitalized following that incident and suffered several recurrences last season. Kill has recovered well since then and said at Big Ten Media Days in July he was in his best health in several years.

Kill’s seizure occurred after he spoke to the media Saturday. He appeared healthy at his press conference, moments before the reoccurrence.

Medical personnel attended to Kill before he was transported to the hospital via ambulance, the team report said. Kill was alert and resting comfortably after his seizure.

“Had that happened at home, there’s no issue here,” defensive coordinator Tracy Claeys said Sunday. “It’s part of the seizure disorder. … Millions of people live with it, and it just so happens that during the football season it’s more of a public type of deal.”

Claeys, who has coached with Kill amid the health scares, said it wouldn’t surprise him if Kill was back at work Sunday after his release from the hospital.

Kill has never missed a game because of a seizure. Minnesota is scheduled to play Wisconsin in five days on Oct. 20.

Smith said in the release that Kill plans to be back in the office Monday.