Gophers help U.S. women win Four Nations Cup

Current Gophers players Milica McMillen, Amanda Kessel and Megan Bozek played for Team USA.

The first time the U.S. women’s hockey team played Canada in the 2012 Four Nations Cup, it lost.

But Team USA won 3-0 the second time around in the championship game, securing a gold medal for the second year in a row.

Gophers players Milica McMillen, Amanda Kessel and Megan Bozek competed for the U.S. women, which went 3-1 at the annual tournament between U.S., Canada, Finland and Sweden.

Joining them in Finland were former Gophers players Sarah Erickson and defenseman Anne Schleper.

Gigi Marvin, another former Gophers player, was also named to the team but did not play.

Schleper scored Team USA’s final goal in the championship game.

Just like last year, the Americans lost their only game in the round-robin stage of the tournament to Canada before beating the Canadians in the gold-medal game.

Kessel had two assists in the team’s 4-0 win over Sweden. She added a goal and three assists in its 15-1 win over Finland.

Bozek had a goal and an assist, Erickson had two assists and Schleper had one assist in the win against Finland.

Minnesota’s top-ranked women’s hockey team had the weekend off, and it will resume its schedule Nov. 16-17 with a home series against Minnesota State-Mankato.