Not to be viewed with parents

Dave Attell watches pornography from the ’70s and ’80s.

What: “Dave’s Old Porn” season premiere

When: 11 p.m. EST,  Thursday

Where: Showtime network

Ages: 18+

Like a pig in muck, Dave Attell loves getting dirty.

The return of his show, “Dave’s Old Porn,” heralds more of Attell’s up-front brand of filthiness.

The 30-minute program’s premise sees Attell and his guests watch retro pornographic films together, commenting along the way. People from Kathy Griffin to Rob Zombie to Kayden Kross pop up this season.

“It’s a tip of the hat to ‘Mystery Science Theater 3000,’”**** Attell said. “Nothing will ever be as cool as that, but it’s my attempt.”

The guests of “Dave’s Old Porn” are usually a fellow comedian and a current or former star of the pornography industry.

“A lot of these people don’t remember the scenes,” Attell said. Ron Jeremy, Tom Byron, Herschel Savage — they made so many movies — it’s a real flashback for them.”

The porn-watching reactions are part of why the set-up, unlike “Mystery Science Theater,” has them all facing the camera. The porn du jour plays behind them on a green screen, making for an all-out visual assault.

Imagine watching David Letterman conduct an interview, but in the background a scantily clad woman discovers she doesn’t have the money to pay the plumber.

“Sitting with other people and watching porn — it’s a little weird,” Attell said. “Porn is best viewed alone.”

That awkwardness is captured in the unscripted and uncensored show.

The improvisational aspect comes to light when Attell giddily steps on the ends of guests’ sentences and vice versa. Pornography is a topic that the two time host of the Adult Video News Awards is eager to talk about.

“One thing you never want to do is watch a whole porn movie,” Attell said. “And I’ve done it.”

Viewers can take a sigh of relief that Attell does not show the whole feature and is able to edit for the best parts of the conversation.

“Dave’s Old Porn” thrives off that same spur-of-the-moment vibe that Attell’s old show “Insomniac with Dave Attell” did. Oddly, with the green-screen set and red sofa for the cast, “Porn” ends up less seedy than “Insomniac.”

The conversations are not entirely an exercise in wallowing in the gutter.

Individuals from the pornography industry already are open about sexual topics. Their input from the other side of the camera is intriguing and oddly informative. It’s a light they are rarely seen in — ostensibly not acting and also clothed.

Even tricks of the trade are divulged. For instance, before the days of K-Y, porn stars used Albolene makeup remover as lubricant.

But Attell’s the type of guy who could wash and re-wash and still be grimy. The show, vintage pornography and all, reflects that.

“This porn is a whole different animal,” Attell said. “I mean it’s Animal Planet — hairy and wild and scary looking.”