U student, friends assaulted in Como

A group of men allegedly used brass knAlso, UMPD reports a 22 percent decrease in crime from last year.uckles to attack a group of six people at a bus stop Saturday night.

A group of armed suspects attacked six people near a bus stop in the Southeast Como neighborhood late Saturday night.

Three men and one woman allegedly used brass knuckles to attack University of Minnesota student Elizabeth Harries and five of her friends while they waited for a bus at the intersection of 27th Avenue Southeast and Como Avenue at about 11 p.m., according to a Minneapolis police report.

Harries, 21, said two of the suspects were waiting with her group at the bus stop before one of them left and returned with the other suspects. The suspects then began making threatening comments toward Harries’ group before pulling out brass knuckles and attacking them.

“They completely instigated all of it,” Harries said. “I think they just wanted to hurt us.”

As the suspects continued to try and hit Harries’ friends with the brass knuckles, one of her friends called the police, she said. Minneapolis and University police arrived at the scene quickly and arrested the four suspects.

“[The suspects] were yelling and spitting at the police once they arrived,” Harries said.

Harries and her friends were not seriously injured during the attack, she said, but one of the suspects broke his nose. Paramedics at the scene took him to a nearby hospital.

Harries said she thought the suspects were under the influence of drugs and alcohol.

“They were really imbalanced, so they got more hurt than we did,” she said.

The four suspects, two of whom are juveniles, could face charges of second-degree assault with a weapon, fifth-degree assault and obstruction of justice, according to the report.

Man robbed near 13th Avenue Southeast

A St. Paul man was robbed by two male suspects two blocks from Van Cleve Park Sunday morning, according to a Minneapolis police report.

The 18-year-old victim was walking along East Hennepin Avenue just after 1 a.m. Sunday when the two suspects approached him and demanded he give them his wallet, according to the report. One of the suspects told the victim he had a gun but did not show it.

As the victim began pulling cash from his wallet, one of the suspects punched him in the face and took his wallet and cellphone, according to the report.

The suspects fled the scene before Minneapolis police arrived. A GPS device in the victim’s phone led police to an area more than two miles from where the robbery took place, but they didn’t find anything.

UMPD on pace for biggest crime decrease in ten years

University of Minnesota police are on pace for recording the largest decrease in crime in a single year in the past decade.

Through November, UMPD has reported 22 percent fewer incidents than last year. The greatest decreases recorded up to this year were in 2007 and 2008, both of which saw a 14 percent decrease in total crime over the previous year.

The largest decreases this year have been in burglaries, thefts and alcohol offenses, according to UMPD data.

University police reported increased reports of driving under the influence and damage to property.