Freshman Mable impresses early, shows potential with Gophers

Lindsay Mable was named Big Ten Freshman of the Week after a strong meet at Penn State.

Fresh off an all-around win at Penn State in her first road meet with the Gophers and Big Ten Freshman of the Week honors, gymnast Lindsay Mable has shown she has the potential to be a mainstay in the lineup this season.

Mable attributed part of her early success to her confidence level.

“Going in and just feeling confident and calm within the team and myself helps me,” she said. “I feel like whenever I see someone else do so much better, I feel the confidence in myself even more to do what I know how to do.”

Head coach Meg Stephenson said Mable has adjusted well to competing every weekend. She said she has high expectations for Mable this season.

“I think she obviously has done what she needs to do mentally to prepare to be ready to do the job,” Stephenson said.

Mable has confidence from her teammates both on and off the mat.

“I lean on her for a lot of my events,” sophomore Jenny Covers said. “I can go to her for anything, and she’d always go out of her way to help me.”

The Gophers are coming off a quad meet victory over Penn State, Kent State and Towson last Saturday.

Covers recorded career-best scores on all four events. Mable won the all-around with a score of 39.325. She and sophomore Kylie Schermann won the floor exercise with a score of 9.875.

Women’s lineup

Stephenson said Minnesota’s focus Saturday will be to finish routines.

“If we do that, I think we’re going to be very pleased with how the outcome is,” she said.

The Gophers’ veteran gymnasts will fill more spots in the lineup this week, Stephenson said.

Senior Shannon Golich and sophomore Cierra Tomson in particular will play a larger role this week, Stephenson said. Golich has only competed on beam this season.

Junior Dusti Russell was a key all-around competitor last season. She has not competed this season because of an injury, and Stephenson said she will not be ready this weekend.

Men’s lineup

Gophers head men’s coach Mike Burns said the team’s lineup will remain close to the same as it was at last week’s Windy City Invitational in Chicago. He said injuries and illness may elicit some changes.

John Scallon will not compete in the pommel horse due to wrist pain, Burns said. Junior Nathan Fortunato will likely take Scallon’s place in the lineup.

“It will be great to see him in a competition setting,” Burns said of Fortunato.

Minnesota has been battling the flu this week, which could further impact the lineup, Burns said. Freshman Michael Farquhar, who competed on rings last weekend, has missed practice time with the flu.

Burns said this weekend presents an opportunity for other gymnasts to compete.