Halloween robberies add to increasing list

Police are upping patrols after three incidents late Thursday.

A string of robberies Thursday night added to a growing list of similar incidents near the University of Minnesota campus.

Just before midnight Thursday, a suspect approached two victims – one a University student – near the intersection of University and 27th avenues, according to a University-wide email University police sent Friday.

The suspect asked to borrow a cell phone, and one of the victims offered one, according to the email. The suspect then pointed a handgun at the victims and demanded valuables, taking two cell phones and a wallet.

Around 12:30 a.m., three University students were in a house near the intersection of University and 18th avenues when they found that two men had entered the house through a basement window, the email said. The suspects, armed with a hammer and a knife respectively, stole an iPhone and a purse.

At 1:20 a.m., a group of men assaulted and robbed multiple people, including University students, near the intersection of 14th Avenue Southeast and 6th Street Southeast, according to the email. The suspects took various valuables and assaulted both the group and bystanders trying to intervene. One victim sustained a possible broken nose.

University Police arrested three suspects in the third incident, two of which were positively identified by victims and witnesses, according to the email. It’s believed that at least one suspect may still be at large.

Due to the increasingly violent and brazen nature of the criminals involved in the recent series of robberies, University police Chief Greg Hestness asked Minneapolis police Chief Janeé Harteau to make the University area a top priority, according to the email.

Additional patrols will also be in place, according to the email.